Scared of my own tank

bigdummy

Arachnopeon
I wasn’t sure what to title this but I honestly don’t know what to do, I adore most bugs & especially millipedes! I plan to go into entomology when I get through uni. But I’ve been having bad scares and nightmares after getting my own millipede “Honey” she’s (assumed she) a bumblebee millipede not sure of age but she’s very small- I love her to bits but I’m terrified of the tank!!!

My main fear is other bugs showing up in the tank, I’ve had her for at least a week & the tank at least two. The tank is full with around 5-8L of millipede mixes containing eco earth potting soil or peat dead leaves rotting soft woods and fine cuttlebone pieces. The tank is kept in my room usually kept around 23-25C depending on my room temp. The tank is sprayed daily with fresh water. I also have springtails in with her. I did give her a slice of cucumber im not sure she ate- but when I took it out I found tiny transparent worms under it!! I Assume these are nematodes... I washed it before putting it in however accidentally left it for around 2 days rather than 1 though my scares and nightmares started before then... for one reason things like grubs, maggots & parasites are my biggest fears could anyone help me? (I’ve handled grubs in the past & loved it but they seem to be something I’m most scared of showing up unexpectedly )

Is it common to get extra bugs in with millipedes over time? Or am I just being a Whimp? I’m honestly so scared I’ve considered getting rid & donating her to my college which is hate to do because I love her!!

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I wasn’t sure what to title this but I honestly don’t know what to do, I adore most bugs & especially millipedes! I plan to go into entomology when I get through uni. But I’ve been having bad scares and nightmares after getting my own millipede “Honey” she’s (assumed she) a bumblebee millipede not sure of age but she’s very small- I love her to bits but I’m terrified of the tank!!!

My main fear is other bugs showing up in the tank, I’ve had her for at least a week & the tank at least two. The tank is full with around 5-8L of millipede mixes containing eco earth potting soil or peat dead leaves rotting soft woods and fine cuttlebone pieces. The tank is kept in my room usually kept around 23-25C depending on my room temp. The tank is sprayed daily with fresh water. I also have springtails in with her. I did give her a slice of cucumber im not sure she ate- but when I took it out I found tiny transparent worms under it!! I Assume these are nematodes... I washed it before putting it in however accidentally left it for around 2 days rather than 1 though my scares and nightmares started before then... for one reason things like grubs, maggots & parasites are my biggest fears could anyone help me? (I’ve handled grubs in the past & loved it but they seem to be something I’m most scared of showing up unexpectedly )

Is it common to get extra bugs in with millipedes over time? Or am I just being a Whimp? I’m honestly so scared I’ve considered getting rid & donating her to my college which is hate to do because I love her!!
You have only had her for a week, I would personally give it some time and see if it becomes less of a stress point going forward.

To me it does sound like you are getting very worked up about keeping this pet in particular, while sometimes it is a good thing to be worked up and wanting to keep your millipede in perfect conditions in your case it sounds as if it is stressing you out more than it should. While this can be normal it can also cause you to do something irrational because of something you saw that you feel might not be correct. I had a friend who cleaner her T enclosure every week because she was so stressed out about mites, mold etc. I ended up adopting the T.

Most of the people on here will tell you that they have had mold, mites, parasites etc at one point or another. If you have been keeping pedes, T's, reptiles for more than 5-10 years and you have never had any problems I would say you are fairly lucky.

You have a fear that something might inhabit the enclosure with your millipede, and I know prevention is better than cure but maybe you need to put a plan B in place. I.e if something does show up someday, make sure you have the knowledge to deal with it. If something does happen you could always come to the boards as well, you will get quick educated responses.

I don't mean to be blunt because i can tell that you really care so take my next sentence with a bit of salt.

If you are paranoid and stressed out to the point of doing irrational cleanups, having to dig out your millipede from her hide to see if she is okay, or anything else that starts stressing out the animal you should maybe consider that keeping her is not ideal.

That being said, please allow yourself some time to get used to the idea. It may be rare but some people do get stressed out and it creates a very stressful environment when keeping exotics but it usually passes as you get used to the idea.

I really hope you manage to get through this as it is a very rewarding and sometimes nail biting hobby.:anxious:

All the best :) and stay positive. If something bad happens it happens, learn from it and decide on your next step.

bigdummy

Arachnopeon
Thanks that means a lot! I assure I don’t plan to clean her out or dig her up unless absolutely required, I know digging her up can be harmful & the substrate doesn’t need to be cleaned much just topped up, I’m just quite the worrier I appreciate the reassurance I think that’s all I needed I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks so much!

You have only had her for a week, I would personally give it some time and see if it becomes less of a stress point going forward.

To me it does sound like you are getting very worked up about keeping this pet in particular, while sometimes it is a good thing to be worked up and wanting to keep your millipede in perfect conditions in your case it sounds as if it is stressing you out more than it should. While this can be normal it can also cause you to do something irrational because of something you saw that you feel might not be correct. I had a friend who cleaner her T enclosure every week because she was so stressed out about mites, mold etc. I ended up adopting the T.

Most of the people on here will tell you that they have had mold, mites, parasites etc at one point or another. If you have been keeping pedes, T's, reptiles for more than 5-10 years and you have never had any problems I would say you are fairly lucky.

You have a fear that something might inhabit the enclosure with your millipede, and I know prevention is better than cure but maybe you need to put a plan B in place. I.e if something does show up someday, make sure you have the knowledge to deal with it. If something does happen you could always come to the boards as well, you will get quick educated responses.

I don't mean to be blunt because i can tell that you really care so take my next sentence with a bit of salt.

If you are paranoid and stressed out to the point of doing irrational cleanups, having to dig out your millipede from her hide to see if she is okay, or anything else that starts stressing out the animal you should maybe consider that keeping her is not ideal.

That being said, please allow yourself some time to get used to the idea. It may be rare but some people do get stressed out and it creates a very stressful environment when keeping exotics but it usually passes as you get used to the idea.

I really hope you manage to get through this as it is a very rewarding and sometimes nail biting hobby.:anxious:

All the best :) and stay positive. If something bad happens it happens, learn from it and decide on your next step.
s

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Thanks that means a lot! I assure I don’t plan to clean her out or dig her up unless absolutely required, I know digging her up can be harmful & the substrate doesn’t need to be cleaned much just topped up, I’m just quite the worrier I appreciate the reassurance I think that’s all I needed I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks so much
Have some faith in yourself and you will do great! One can tell you have a passion for this and I applaud your courage to ask for advice rather than just going along.

Keep me updated as well if you don't mind, I would really like to know how it all turned out for you :):D

bigdummy

Arachnopeon
Have some faith in yourself and you will do great! One can tell you have a passion for this and I applaud your courage to ask for advice rather than just going along.

Keep me updated as well if you don't mind, I would really like to know how it all turned out for you :):D
I will do! Thanks again for the help! ☺