Scarab Beetles HELP ASAP!

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Hey guys, today i found 6 baby Protaetia speciosa in my basil plants (about 2 cm each, some larger,) i think they were born there and not attracted since they're all the same size, i have them in a random container with a mesh lid on top for now, im planning on making a 2 galloon tank for them but i'd like to know if anyone has kept Protaetia speciosa before and if i should keep feeding them basil and other plants. Also, should i use eco-earth and keep them toghether in the same container?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
If they were feeding on basil, keep feeding them basil. You can try other fruits and see if they like it as well. None of them are babies, if they look like beetles. Once they become beetles, they are full-fledged adults and will not grow. Babies look like worm-y grubs. Some are larger than others due to genetics and the nutrition they receive as grubs. Keeping them together should be fine. I have no idea how to breed this species, but I would suggest a mostly rotted hardwood substrate if you want to breed. If not, coco-fiber is probably fine. Keep the substrate slightly moist, especially if you plan on breeding.

Pics! We don't have this species in the U.S., but we have similar Scarabs.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
No ive actually researched a bit, i think they're like stink bugs, they are born babies and mold (?) ive never seen anyone talk about Protaetia speciosa LARVAE

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Nvm found out they are larvae of those little buggest, but they look very similar to big ones, just smaller and more round, i guess they're Protaetia but not speciosa

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
No ive actually researched a bit, i think they're like stink bugs, they are born babies and mold (?) ive never seen anyone talk about Protaetia speciosa LARVAE
Sorry, but that isn't true. All beetles go through complete metamorphosis (except a few select ones, I believe there is a firefly species whose females stay in their larval stage).

Taken from their Wikipedia page, "The larvae develop in rotten wood of deciduous trees, mainly oak and willow. The full life cycle lasts 3.4 years."

Nvm found out they are larvae of those little buggest, but they look very similar to big ones, just smaller and more round, i guess they're Protaetia but not speciosa
That's not right either. The larvae look like grubs and burrow in rotten wood. All Scarabs have a larval stage like this.

Bottom line is if yours look like beetles, they are adults. :)