Sc. galapagoensis

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well more of the story is that she started walking around, turned around and started taking it out so tried to stop her by making a small disturbance. She started walking around again, I had to stop myself from doing anything and letting it take it's course, has to be a reason for it. I caught her here in the photo right before she crushed it, took it out and ate it. I didn't see that happen the other two times with this species and never have seen it before with any other sps but I mostly mess with heros. The heros spermatophore "melts" after several seconds when not picked up. But the galapagoensis spermatophore looked like it might be a little more tough. That's how it seems to me atm anyway.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
So how many of these do you have at the moment?
Do you know approximately how many are in the USA with people willing/wanting to breed?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Only referring to ads on this site, I could count around 25 to 30. But I bet there are more in the US, could be a lot more since I'm guessing that a whole lot of invert people don't hit this site. I've got 2 males and 2 females. I'm making a lot of guesses but I would guess others are trying as well but simply not posting anything here. I personally don't know of anybody else trying to breed them. Could be that plings just pop up some day in the ad section out of the blue.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Out of the blue me!!! Please! ;) You've done an amazing job with them I hope she has a surprise in store for you.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have to wait and see if it happens, I need to forget about it and check every five days or so instead of every 5 minutes. Plings cost?, I don't want to think about that so soon, don't know.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a crazy thought...

Anybody want to sell one or two (male/female) Scolopendra galapagoensis to me?

krabbelspinne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@Tod: It is normal that females eat the rest of the spermatophore. So don`t worry.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK that's good to hear, didn't see them do that the other two times. It looked like it ate the whole thing. The 3 times I saw them mate, they turned around and ate the webbing each time though.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
haha, I'm going to set up diff setups for the females tomorrow, I don't like where they are right now. I confess that I pumped them up when I first got them but I've backed off the food. I just wanted to get them to breeding size asap. I've got a pair together right now, have to go check on them. Somebody out there may be sitting on nymphs already, who knows. They get along pretty well, but once the mating is over the male goes a little ballistic and chases the female off. I'm really curious about the size diff after the next molt. Steven has a pic of one he had that looks really wide, looks like a really nice specimen.

2nd mating for this one;

1 hour and 59 minutes later and spermatophore is still visible and not aborted like what happened with the other female. ..I just checked, I still see it and it's been about 2.5 hours. It might be a little smaller but I'm not sure about that, me go bed.

Last edited:

coldvaper

Arachnosquire
I have got my fingers crossed for you. I don't even expect to be the first to get any, in fact I hope they all go to breeders first so we can get a decent amount of these bad boys in the hobby.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only referring to ads on this site, I could count around 25 to 30. But I bet there are more in the US, could be a lot more since I'm guessing that a whole lot of invert people don't hit this site. I've got 2 males and 2 females. I'm making a lot of guesses but I would guess others are trying as well but simply not posting anything here. I personally don't know of anybody else trying to breed them. Could be that plings just pop up some day in the ad section out of the blue.
I would say there are less than 20 in the states in my opinion. I kept 4 from the group I was selling and I know the other oner ones I sold , some have perished or not doing good. I should have kept the whole lot.

I am not trying to breed, I still Need some help with sexing. I am afraid of centis bite : )

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah this is a great sp. hope the breeding goes well, i need 1 of these in my collection:)

jwrighta

Arachnopeon
Breathtaking pics!! I want galapagoensis so DESPERATELY!!! What an AWESOME CREATURE!!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would say there are less than 20 in the states in my opinion. I kept 4 from the group I was selling and I know the other oner ones I sold , some have perished or not doing good. I should have kept the whole lot.

I am not trying to breed, I still Need some help with sexing. I am afraid of centis bite : )
Just plop them in a bowl of water, it's a little disturbing but they will be OK. You may not have a good magnifier though. It sounds like some of those came in with some problems(?) These fill up and go under for days, weeks, pet holes of the pede world imo but, not much diff than other pedes as far as that goes. I really hope they stay healthy long enough to get plings. 0 signs of health problems so far.