saved this little guy from imminent death... but what is he?

Stan2292

Arachnopeon
found him wandering dangerously close to my venus fly trap. he was super slippery so as a precautionary measure, i sprung all the traps of my VFT with tissue paper and carefully lured him into a small jar. phew.

i can't ID him just by his appearance alone so i left him in the jar for a while hoping that the type of web he spins would help me with the IDing... nope. at first i thought he's some type of orb weaver. but i'm not aware of any orb weaver with an abdomen that has the same patterning as their legs. well im clueless now so might as well take some macro shots of him since he is quite beautiful. the first 4 photos in the link below is the said little bugger.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82999640@N07/

his length from head to abdomen is around 3 or 4mm with leg span of roughly 1cm. he was found in my house and i live in melbourne, victoria, australia. if anyone identifies him, please let me know. cheers.

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Maybe Eriophora. Toss a coin for which of the 100 or so species. Going by the images Google turns up, they commonly have legs match the coloration of the body.

Wikipedia image

Last edited: