Sand question.

dustinv91

Arachnopeon
I recently got a desert hairy scorpion (H. arizonensis). I don’t have any sand only substrate I’ve used since I kept monitors was a mix of coco fiber, potting soil, with vermiculite mixed in for dryer species. I noticed today when I was getting ready for work it had climbed up on the side like it didn’t like it. Is the dirt a potential danger? Or should I just add more vermiculite to the substrate to dry it out more? I don’t really like dealing with sand.

cold blood

Staff member
I recently got a desert hairy scorpion (H. arizonensis). I don’t have any sand only substrate I’ve used since I kept monitors was a mix of coco fiber, potting soil, with vermiculite mixed in for dryer species. I noticed today when I was getting ready for work it had climbed up on the side like it didn’t like it. Is the dirt a potential danger? Or should I just add more vermiculite to the substrate to dry it out more? I don’t really like dealing with sand.
Dirt is just fine.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The proper substrate for this species is a 70 / 30 ratio of Sand / Excavator clay. It is an obligate burrower.