Sand Boa care

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So I'm going to a show next week and planning to pick up a Kenyan sand boa hatchling. I just wanted to get advice about care and such from those of you who have kept them. I have two corns already to I'm pretty knowledgeable about snake basics and I've done a lot of research on the internet, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on them.

I'm planning to start it out in a clear plastic boot box or other tub with a good amount of Aspen bedding. I know they need to have deeper substrate in order to burrow. Is it true they really don't need hides because burrowing is enough?

I've read that they need to have a pretty high basking temp (like 90F). That seems so hot to me (of course, I've been to Africa and it's HOT there so I guess that seems normal). What do you use to keep the temps that high? I feel like the heating pads I have for my corns wouldn't be that warm. I also read somewhere that sometimes a humidity box is recommended. Is this really critical? I've never found it necessary to use one before so if I don't need it, I probably won't bother.

How long do they usually live? Is there any difference in lifespan for males and females? Anything else I should know about these guys? And is there a good book out there on them or a good website I should look at?

Thanks. :)

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I keep mine in crushed walnut. Ive found they prefer this over the aspen. I think its because of the weight. They feel safe with the added weight on top of them. I also have a butter tub in there with moist paper towel. They like to hang out in there when its close to sheding time. I have one kenyan that, if it doesnt have this moist hide, will have shedding problems, the others dont seem to have the problems this boy does. So yes, moist hide is probably ideal. They burrow, and in the wild burrows tend to have a higher moisture level, at least thats my take on it. I also feed them in the moist hide, keeps them off of the substrate and lowers impaction problems. Of course, the water bowl :D
YES hot side should be about 90-92. My female, when she was gravid, stayed on the hot side constantly!
I have one kenyan (female) that I use a small snake hook when Im getting her out. She seems to think EVERYTHING is edible... Once shes out she stops trying to eat me. The others I can just go digging for and they dont strike at me.
Your going to LOVE these guys!! They're so sweet and docile. VERY mellow. Not like a colubrid who always seems to have somewhere to go :D They are content to hang out in your hands and crawl up your sleeves

Mechanical-Mind

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey MindUtopia,

It looks like you've done a great deal of research before hand, so I've gotta applaud you.

Everything you've laid down so far sounds pretty solid. I'll try to answer some of your questions as best as I can, though:

"I've done a lot of research on the internet, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there on them."
-The most comprehensive site I've found on these genera is this one. Most of the books I've seen on these guys are pretty much useless, especially in comparison with that site. Further, most literature is sort of useless for G. colubrinus because their care and husbandry is accomplished so easily, unless of course you're interested in natural history, range maps, etc. If you're affiliated with a university can probably find keys and such information there.

"Is it true they really don't need hides because burrowing is enough?"
-Depending on the presence and depth of substrate, absolutely - yes it's true. 2-3.5 inches is probably a good depth.

"What do you use to keep the temps that high?"
-I keep my sand boas in Animal Plastic rack systems which use thermostat controlled heat cables, but I've also successfully kept them in simple 10 and/or 20 gallon tanks with screen lids and incandescent lamps. In the end, I believe you'll find these snakes to be especially hardy. A little lower than 90 degrees is probably acceptable for non-breeding snakes, but if you plan to breed them down the road, 90 degrees is without a doubt the coolest hot spot I'd want to have for a gravid female or breeding group.

"I also read somewhere that sometimes a humidity box is recommended. Is this really critical?"
-In my experience it is not; however, sometime down the road you will inevitably have a shedding problem. Soak them in lukewarm water that's only a few cm. deep for 15 minutes and you'll be A-okay. Just give them a hand with peeling, either with a soft towel or gently squeezing them as they pass through your fingers.

"How long do they usually live? Is there any difference in lifespan for males and females?"
-As far as I know, there is no difference in longevity of male vs. female. That said, if you're breeding the female her life span will be somewhat compromised, as is probably the case with all snakes.

"Anything else I should know about these guys?"
-Just to recap: Keep them warm, keep them clean, don't feed them in their enclosure (unless you're keeping them on newspaper or equivalent), always do it in a rubbermaid (or equiv.) sans substrate. Always have fresh water available as they definitely do drink from bowls, I've even photographed it. Lastly, I consider them as having a slowish metabolism, so don't get too food happy. Two times a week is my MAX for Erycines under 1.5 years; one large meal every week for 2-4 year olds; and then one large meal every 1.5-2.5 weeks for older breeders.

Good luck,
-Matt

EDIT: One more thing, I don't want it to sound as though Animal Plastics is a great company by any stretch. I think their products work at only a satisfactory level, and that their customer service is probably by far the most frustrating around. I'll stop there, but anyone seriously considering giving them your money should first consider contacting me for a few brief words.

Last edited:

Natemass

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mindutopia when you buy 1 tell me all about it cuz ive wanted one forever.