Samson the Bullmastiff.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Had my little man since he was a tiny little pup. Over 8 years later we're best mates.

These photo's have been taken from my tv so they're not great.

The day I got him and the following few days, weeks, months and years.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Very cool. I never got the small dogs, bigger the better! Awesome animal.
He is phenomenal.

I had a blue merl border collie before him. After he died I wanted another dog but a breed completely different. Samson is certainly different.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Samson is a lovely boy.
Mastiffs are my favourites. There has been a huge increase in mastiffs in the Toronto area the last few years. Probably due, in part, to the ban on pit bulls in Ontario. Unfortunately, that also means that there has been an increase in the amount of them finding their way into shelters and rescues - some of them extremely aggressive.
Just like tarantulas, there are many dog breeds who are not appropriate for beginners. Mastiffs are one of those breeds. They need to be in constant training to avoid them developing anti-social behaviours.
In the hands of good, responsible, owners - they are the best dogs on the planet. In the hands of irresponsible owners - they can be one of the most dangerous.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I adore Bullmastiffs ❤ Your boy is very handsome, and I love how tight his flews are! Bullmastiffs are getting to jowly like English mastiffs these days.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I adore Bullmastiffs ❤ Your boy is very handsome, and I love how tight his flews are! Bullmastiffs are getting to jowly like English mastiffs these days.
To be honest the kennel club need to really sort themselves out. They've turned many a good dog into walking vet bills.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To be honest the kennel club need to really sort themselves out. They've turned many a good dog into walking vet bills.
A veterinarian I used to work with has been breeding, showing, working bull mastiffs for decades. The conscientious breeders concentrate on improving the breed and promoting spay/neuter in animals with medical issues and/or undesirable traits. As with any breed, there are unscrupulous backyard breeders and mills out there. The kennel clubs can't police all of them.

I pulled a Bull mastiff from a local shelter a few years ago for BM rescue. Because the breeder had microchipped her, we were able to back track since the purchaser never transferred ownership on the chip. Prior to purchase, the owner had passed vet checks, reference checks, home visit, even had a detailed contract with "return to breeder" clause. He still let this unspayed female out to run the streets and get picked up by the shelter, multiple times. Finally told shelter he didn't want her, but refused to relinquish any of her paperwork. The breeder was FURIOUS!
The dog did go to a good, permanent home.
People are jerks and the dogs, as individuals and as specific breeds, suffer.