Salticidae photos

Tapahtyn

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe this has already been posted, but what lense are you using and how is your set up to take the pictures? Ya know they are full of energy :) I am envious of the beautiful pictures

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maybe this has already been posted, but what lense are you using and how is your set up to take the pictures? Ya know they are full of energy :) I am envious of the beautiful pictures

Old Nikkor Micro 105/2.8D, kenko extension tubes (68mm). SB-800 and home-made speedlight diffuser is a main light source. I put these spiders on a white sheet of paper and bounced flash from the other two pieces from the left and from the right.

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pictures are beautiful, but I wonder if the light causes any damage to their eyes?

TheDarkInfinity

Arachnopeon
Raptor what is your minimum focus distance with the addition of the ext. tubes? Also do you you shoot with your lens wide open? Sorry for the barage of question. Amazing pics though.

Last edited:

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great photos all around, simply fantastic... I am guessing spot metering is a must to keep the whites from messing up the exposure?

CodeWilster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
P. audax

I am not worthy of posting my pictures here after seeing all these but IDC...
Here's my P. audax web motel housing a large number of recently hatched offspring :) You can sort of see some of them toward the left of the webbing. Oh and mommy is underneath...

She decided to come out and check out the camera...

more to come :)

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you :)
The pictures are beautiful, but I wonder if the light causes any damage to their eyes?
I think it does nothing. I've got one E. arcuata which had more than 100 pics taken during one year... and it still in good condition, hunting without any problem.

Raptor what is your minimum focus distance with the addition of the ext. tubes? Also do you you shoot with your lens wide open? Sorry for the barage of question. Amazing pics though.
7-8cm from the front of the lens. With reversed Industar 50/2.8 or Flektogon 35/2.4 and bellows, only 2-3cm.

Great photos all around, simply fantastic... I am guessing spot metering is a must to keep the whites from messing up the exposure?
Matrix metering, but overexposed 1 and 2/3 or 2 EV. Using spot metering, when objects are fast moving animals isn't the easiest solution.

Here's my P. audax
...I'm still thinking how I can get one of thouse. One of the most beautifull jumping spiders, but it can't be found in Europe.

OK. 3 more, this time without white background...
M. radiata

A. v-insignitus

E. falcata

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you :)

Matrix metering, but overexposed 1 and 2/3 or 2 EV. Using spot metering, when objects are fast moving animals isn't the easiest solution.
Ahh I see... that makes sense. I think focusing would be the problem for me then. Does the extension tube mess with the focusing at all? I think I would have to put it on continuous focus and hope to get lucky.

Again though, really fantastic stuff... sorry for the pesky questions.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Found new salti :}
OT: Dark Raptor pls check your mail
Hi. I think I didn't get your e-mail. I won't have Internet connection in the next few weeks (I'm traveling around Poland looking for more "bugz" ;) ).

Here are the newest. This time taken with old Russian (Soviet!) M42 lens - Industar-61L/3-MC 50/2.8 and manual extension rings (~20$ for all). My Nikkor 105/2.8 is broken, and I'm waiting when it will be fixed.

Sitticus sp. (?) - male

Heliophanus sp. - male

Heliophanus sp. - gravid female

Evarcha falcata

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your photos are nothing short of a-m-a-z-i-n-g. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ornata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
darkraptor; what cind of flash system did you use in these shots?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hehehe.....

Get ready for some "awwwwws" - baby jumpers!

Peek-a-Boo!

Welcome to life!

"There must be some kind of way out of here.."

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Even though my photo`s could never hope to be a quarter as good as all the photo`s before mine at least this species hasnt been posted yet i dont think :p
Can anyone tell me what species it is?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think I've posted these in this thread yet, so here goes:

Phaeacius malayensis, adult female:

Unidentified:

Myrmarachne plataleoides, mature male:

Telamonia dimidiata, mature male: