Safe Sand ?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My friend gave me this for free in case I wanted to use it for Scorpions.

What say you all ? 20171005_180506.jpg 20171005_180528.jpg

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I use the same brand of sand. And color.. replicates African scorp substrate better

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Does it say what it is made of on the package anywhere ? Im actually rethinking the whole play sand usage now myself. Reading alot of bad info on it even though ive used it for years and saw no issues so far. Its bad for us to breathe but who knows how it actually affects scorpions

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
Does it say what it is made of on the package anywhere ? Im actually rethinking the whole play sand usage now myself. Reading alot of bad info on it even though ive used it for years and saw no issues so far. Its bad for us to breathe but who knows how it actually affects scorpions
i'm pretty sure it's made of calcium carbonate.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
So good or bad ?

@Scorpionluva I am too lol
Might be better than play sand might be worse. :banghead::rofl:
Id say it really depends on if thats a natural coloration to it
if its artificially colored - its probably worse than play sand.
I know all the play sand in my area is really light in color but same bags of sand in arizona had alot darker color - closer to the color in the bag you posted
So maybe theres alot of clear quartz in my area and darker quartz out west.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
My friend gave me this for free in case I wanted to use it for Scorpions.

What say you all ? View attachment 253980 View attachment 253981
Looks safe enough, so long as it is just that sand and coco fiber. Quartz sand, in my experience, is safe. What you need to watch out for is the reptile calcium sand. I used that for a pair of desert scorp slings. Weeks later, it looks like they ended up arching their backs in an hour-long spasm and dying. I have no idea if it was from this sand, but it certainly seems like it. I used that brand's clay, so I'm sure it is safe for scorps :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Looks safe enough, so long as it is just that sand and coco fiber. Quartz sand, in my experience, is safe. What you need to watch out for is the reptile calcium sand. I used that for a pair of desert scorp slings. Weeks later, it looks like they ended up arching their backs in an hour-long spasm and dying. I have no idea if it was from this sand, but it certainly seems like it. I used that brand's clay, so I'm sure it is safe for scorps :D
Oh yes I know that for sure. That's all they had at one place was the calcium sand. No thank you.

Chickenfeeder100

Arachnosquire
oh shoot. i checked my bag i was using and was the calcium sand stuff that does nothing to your reptiles. rip kyle kyleson.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Im using exo terra desert sand, black. Im not 100% sure what it is made of but the bag says made in south africa and says 100% natural. Any ideas?
Their website says its 100% real desert sand available in 3 or 4 colors. If its true it might be a great choice to use !

Last edited: