Sad old T at LPS

zxneon

Arachnosquire
Ok this is bad... At local pet store thy are selling mature male G.rosea who looks like in early premolt . His abdomen starts to turn dark .He will die very soon . Thats like selling old toothless crippled dog as puppy . I`m sorry for that person who without knowing buys him . I think that breeders/suppliers know that and uses pet store incompetence . Should i tell them that ? Thing is that i buy feeders there and thy kinda know me .I do not want to be seen as "that guy"

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I guess that’s your call. Not sure how good your relationship is with that shop, and whether or not you think speaking up will cause an issue with them. I’m definitely a regular at a couple of shops, and we have the type of relationship where we can openly talk about those sorts of things.

If it were me, I’d be casual about it. Just say “Hmm..... isn’t that a mature male there? How long have you had it?” And just let the conversation carry on from there without getting too accusatory with them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I wouldn't bother.
If someone's not going to do enough research to recognize a MM, they probably shouldn't own tarantulas.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
I'd mention it. Maybe they'll pull it and save themselves and a customer from some grief.

As for someone buying it who "shouldn't" because they didn't research it, most people buying from a pet store are depending on that pet store for their basic knowledge. The way spiders mate is not something the average novice is going to realize they need to know because it's extremely unique to spiders.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't bother.
If someone's not going to do enough research to recognize a MM, they probably shouldn't own tarantulas.
Thats a bit of a negative attitude dont you think? A lot of beginer keepers get a lot of their T information from the pet store. I know I did. Also its most likely going to be beginers that are buying from pet shops that dont know any better. Nobody can enter a hobby knowing everything even if it is as simple as spoting a MM.

I think the OP should bring it up. We should be informing more people about T's instead of letting some sorry sucker get ripped of by getting a MM as their first.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thats a bit of a negative attitude dont you think? A lot of beginer keepers get a lot of their T information from the pet store. I know I did. Also its most likely going to be beginers that are buying from pet shops that dont know any better. Nobody can enter a hobby knowing everything even if it is as simple as spoting a MM.

I think the OP should bring it up. We should be informing more people about T's instead of letting some sorry sucker get ripped of by getting a MM as their first.
Well, that's just unfortunate, isn't it?

I did. Cause I spent a few hours doing research before acquiring a new pet. And I was on some poor sites too.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
It is our job as hobbyists to educate others, and that means calling out pet store employees, owners when they are doing something wrong or not doing anything at all. Not researching the stock that they are selling and not knowing when their stock is getting old is reason enough to bring it up. So you should.

eggcellent

Arachnopeon
Telling people they are wrong about something sucks, especially when it comes to businesses.
I went through something similiar with a few pet shops in my area, since California has a large problem when it comes to mills, mistreatment of animals, and the trafficking of certain species.

It really depends on how much effort you want to go through with this, try asking how many molts the tarantula has gone through. Then, say something like 'it looks like it is going to molt again soon.' Try leading the conversation and be as nice and constructive as you can.

Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to cut off certain businesses and people, I had to with a shop I used to buy mice from because they were keeping all their rodents in mixed cages and had a bunch of sulcata tortoise babies he adopted from a rescue (I was attending said event and saw him with them). Maybe even report them to Fish and Game if they are in a huge violation. Just weigh your benefits and the cost, as well how how much mental taxation you want to put on yourself.

People do impulse buy or end up with animals they are not prepared or knowledgeable about when they buy from pet stores because well, I mean why wouldn't you expect a pet store to know about animals??? You go to specialized stores like Plant Nurseries or Home Depots and expect them to know more about plants than you do. While one can blame the buyer, it is legally the store's fault for selling sick or injured animals while also providing terrible care advice. Again, they are supposed to know how to care for what they are selling.

Devin B

Arachnobaron

I did. Cause I spent a few hours doing research before acquiring a new pet. And I was on some poor sites too.
Are you honestly saying you knew everything about keeping T's before getting a single one or am I misunderstanding your reply.

All I'm trying to say is we should do or best to educate people about our hobby.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron

It's 2017. Information about anything you want to know including everything you need to know about keeping tarantulas is in your pocket. A cell phone, a simple Google search will yield you anything you want to know about tarantulas. There is no excuse for not knowing about tarantulas you are interested in owning, by not doing any research on your own beforehand to give you at least an idea of what you should expect when owning a tarantula you probably shouldn't even have on in my opinion.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Are you honestly saying you knew everything about keeping T's before getting a single one or am I misunderstanding your reply.

All I'm trying to say is we should do or best to educate people about our hobby.
:rolleyes: you misunderstand.

And I'm saying research your pet before buying it. Knowing what a MM is a very basic part of getting a first Tarantula. Practically every beginners guide out there tells you about it.
If someonr doesn't do their research, and ends up with a old MM, they have no one to blame but themselves. Basically weeds out the responsible keepers from the morons who want to show off to friends.

Devin B

Arachnobaron

And I'm saying research your pet before buying it. Knowing what a MM is a very basic part of getting a first Tarantula. Practically every beginners guide out there tells you about it.
If someonr doesn't do their research, and ends up with a old MM, they have no one to blame but themselves. Basically weeds out the responsible keepers from the morons who want to show off to friends.
Okay my apologies. I definitely misunderstood then.

Unfortunately there are still people that think the pet store owners can teach them how to care for many animals they sell, when reality the pet store workers are just as ignorant as the people they "teach". Its a shame really.

eggcellent

Arachnopeon

I don't like that mindset, all it does it screw over people's perception of the hobby. Those who can afford to buy will keep buying them and owners who sell ill/old/injured pets along with terrible husbandry advice keep profiting.

It is so stupid how one cannot rely on a store that sells pets to know what they are talking about. Stores that sell plants or hardware are held responsible to selling items up to date with proper instructions for maintenance and when they fail to do so, the customer isn't blamed. Why is it the case with animals?

Not saying the buyer is completely innocent, but the irresponsible buyers would be deterred or discouraged if pet store employees and owners cared about the animals.

All I am saying is if someone is selling something, they should make sure you know about it and not use buyers as scapegoats.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't like that mindset, all it does it screw over people's perception of the hobby. Those who can afford to buy will keep buying them and owners who sell ill/old/injured pets along with terrible husbandry advice keep profiting.

It is so stupid how one cannot rely on a store that sells pets to know what they are talking about. Stores that sell plants or hardware are held responsible to selling items up to date with proper instructions for maintenance and when they fail to do so, the customer isn't blamed. Why is it the case with animals?

Not saying the buyer is completely innocent, but the irresponsible buyers would be deterred or discouraged if pet store employees and owners cared about the animals.

All I am saying is if someone is selling something, they should make sure you know about it and not use buyers as scapegoats.
Maybe in Utopia one day every pet store will know what they're on about. But not now. So wannabe owners need to do research.

I don't know what mindset you're talking about. If you're saying thinking people should do research is wrong, then that's just ridiculous.

eggcellent

Arachnopeon
Maybe in Utopia one day every pet store will know what they're on about. But not now. So wannabe owners need to do research.

I don't know what mindset you're talking about. If you're saying thinking people should do research is wrong, then that's just ridiculous.
The mindset I am talking about is having more blame on the wannabe owners rather than the sellers.
Hindsight is a 20/20 and shoulda-couldas are pretty much useless when the money is in the seller's pocket.

If only the buyers get flack then all it is doing is alleviating responsibility of the sellers to provide their animals with safe homes.

Devin B

Arachnobaron

To add to your point, it seems pretty interesting that if you want info on a car you talk to a dealer, if you want info on computers talk to geek squad, If you want an animal then your on your own.

eggcellent

Arachnopeon
To add to your point, it seems pretty interesting that if you want info on a car you talk to a dealer, if you want info on computers talk to geek squad, If you want an animal then your on your own.
Yeah like that is really jarring.

Can you imagine going into home depot and they sell you a chainsaw and are like 'yeah it can go through hardwood its a chainsaw' then said chainsaw fails? They are not allowed to even do that and additionally expect their customers to know about machinery. Idk why Pet stores aren't held to them standards.

Additionally, actual professionals like vets aren't even educated on herps or inverts yet still will take your money to run test and give treatments.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
The mindset I am talking about is having more blame on the wannabe owners rather than the sellers.
Hindsight is a 20/20 and shoulda-couldas are pretty much useless when the money is in the seller's pocket.

If only the buyers get flack then all it is doing is alleviating responsibility of the sellers to provide their animals with safe homes.
Pet stores not knowing an abdomen from carapace is basically an established part of the tarantula hobby. That is not likely to change anytime soon.

It falls to the wannabe keeper to do their research.

Blame the bad sellers all you like. Sounds like an excuse to not research your pet.

eggcellent

Arachnopeon
Pet stores not knowing an abdomen from carapace is basically an established part of the tarantula hobby. That is not likely to change anytime soon.

It falls to the wannabe keeper to do their research.

Blame the bad sellers all you like. Sounds like an excuse to not research your pet.
Sounds like you want to keep the hobby small. Which is a shame, because it would be great to have easily accessible supplies and more invert species.

Again, not saying the buyers are completely innocent. But it is negligent to shrug off the bad sellers. It is also equally as negligent to mark them as morons cause almost all of us were wannabe keepers.

Fact is, any herp or invert hobbyist who accepts or is indifferent to putting pressure on pet stores to provide proper care and care advice is hindering the hobby.

Most of our restrictive laws on herps/inverts are from ignorance and indifference on the part of the general public. Writing them off as morons just continues their ignorance. Like it or not people outside our hobby are the majority make our laws, we are not in a bubble.

eggcellent

Arachnopeon
Oh gosh sorry to derail the topic op;;
But running back and adding to my original point, as hobbyist we need to make sure it is welcoming to new people as well as accessible in regards to the availability of healthy animals. And as consumers, we should not tolerate bad business practices.
You yourself don't have to confront the store owner, you can just have an official person do it.