1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sad news

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Whitelightning777, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Arachno-heretic Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    My M balfouri passed away today from fecal impaction.

I noticed that there was mold in the enclosure against the front edge deep in the substrate and decided to rehouse her. I fed her prior to that and went to work. I hastily set up the new cage and got her in there without incident. The mold was bluish as visible from the outside.

The flooding technique didn't work, had to dig her out. She initially left the burrow and slowly walked right back in instead of teleporting.

I left the catch cup in the new enclosure and she was hanging out vertically. Later I noticed that she appeared to just have rolled out of the catch cup which I then removed.

Her speed and movements were abnormally slow but it just looked like fatigue from being rehoused and soaking wet. She's was calmly walking around in circles normally.

I was cleaning up the old enclosure and the substrate and found an enormous amount of webbing, molts I didn't even see and yellow mold in addition to the other stuff, lots of it.

More then half of the chambers and burrows were bone dry!! They didn't smell that great either, like death and old toadstools. She had webbed over the mold layer after layer.

At that point, I noticed she was totally still. I placed her in her back by the water dish because I felt that a molt might be just beginning. I noticed that her spinnerettes were crooked and totally misaligned but the rest of her was in pristine condition. The abdomen was quite large.

I followed some advice and placed her on a small paper towel back into the deli cup dry. When I returned from work yesterday, there was a truly enormous amount of feces and she was in full death curl. I administered a small amount of water via a dropper with no results. A few hours later I tried a last ditch effort and mixed diluted saline and some fruit juice into some water and administered a few more drops.

This was 100% ineffective.

One sign I may have missed was that iwould sneeze occasionally after maintaining the enclosures. I had noticed a very small amount of dust particles coming from her enclosure but dismissed that because of the extensive borrowing and activity. I strongly suspect that excessive webbing might've played a role but after researching it find out that many cases occur without mold.

This means that those spores are probably still around and I'm mulling over trying to find some substrate that is more resistant to mold.

She had a good appetite right up until the end.

I've had a history of pollen fever and still feel that should've raised more of a red flag, just didn't makes the connection.

RIP Maxine

• Sad Sad x 11
  2. MrButton

MrButton Ruler of Straight Lines Arachnosupporter

NH,USA
    RIP to your M. Balfouri. :( Sad news indeed.

3. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

Coco fiber or plain top soil are your best bets for Substrate.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

4. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

Sorry for your loss. :(

5. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

Does mold play a part in fecal impaction for T’s?

6. Whitelightning777

There are cases that happen without it. In my case there was a huge amount of webbing below ground. I suspect, but can't prove, that may have caused the impaction.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnoknight Active Member

Why would webbing cause impaction, out of curiousity?

8. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

So is Irish moss peat :)

9. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

No one knows, because the - hard to accept - truth is: at the end of the day we don't know that much about Theraphosidae, and of course those aren't exactly the inverts/animals that the 'vet/s' and the 'vet-industry' focus about.

A lot of factors, from a bad molt to whatever, can cause impaction. Last but not least too much feeding (ain't saying this is the cause you faced, btw).

10. darkness975

darkness975 Dream Reaper Arachnosupporter

More likely something went wrong internally. Didn't affect the silk glands but affected the waste removal system.

Can't be 100% certain though.

11. Whitelightning777

If webbing was excessive and caused enough swelling, it might result in blockage especially if the webbing itself dried there and sealed up something that should've been open.

A fellow on YouTube known as Spiderman lost his Singapore blue the same way, and also had mold in the enclosure.

Although an arboreal spider would have less direct contact. Still, I have no idea if the spider eliminated since the last most. I doubt she has.

The stress could've also caused an internal defect.

No one knows the cause or even if there is a single cause.