Sad narceus gordanus (one possibly paralyzed?)

JustSatanThings

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,
I've had 3 smoky oak dudes since early May, so, over 3 months. I have some concerns about their care, especially one of them.

First, the one that I'm most concerned with: it does not seem to be able to move its legs. They are stuck straight out and it cannot move them at all. When I took it out, I thought perhaps it might be dead as it was curled up, wasn't moving or responsive at all. The only cue that it was alive was that instead of being dry and stiff like a dead bug, it was limp and heavy feeling.
So I figured if it wasn't dead, it was probably about to die so I took it out of the container. After coming back in a couple hours I noticed it uncurled a little bit. I touched it and it curled back up. I placed it in the palm of my hand and it sort of writhed around for a little while, all without moving its legs, which was a little disturbing.
It can't move its antennae either. Just its body that curls and uncurls. Never seen this before...maybe a molt gone wrong? I don't know how long it's been in this state before I checked on it. If it can't move I assume it will eventually starve to death. Should I freeze it and put it out of its misery? This is the second day since I found it like this and it's still in the same state. It just writhes and twists its body around. It's kind of hard to watch.

The other two seem fine - except they never ever go aboveground. They don't eat anything I offer, either. For the substrate I have 2/3 this - https://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Millipede-Substrate-bic790.htm - and 1/3 coco fiber, plus the hardwood flakes and leaves, which should be pretty nutritious.
I owned a Mardonius parilis for a few years and it would frequently rummage aboveground and eat various fruits and veggies I left out for it. I guess not all millipedes are the same but I wasn't expecting a pede that is 100% invisible! Is this normal?
Also, they are not fully grown but have not molted since I got them.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited: