Sad discovery (A. moderatum underground molt)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
So, I hadn't seen my A. moderatum sling for about 3 weeks, which is not uncommon for some specimens that like to burrow. It was 3/8 inches DLS. I left it a pre-killed cricket half every few days, removed it after a day, and kept the substrate in its vial damp, but not soaking on one side.

I've raised dozens of slings in vials that thrived with the same care...but not this time. After carefully brushing some substrate aside with a tiny paint brush, I found it. It looks like the little bugger tried to molt underground, got stuck, and died. Too reclusive for its own good, I'm afraid.

This is the first time a sling has died under my care. I feel sad, but not guilty in this case. The more tarantulas you have, the higher a chance there is that something bad will happen with one of them eventually. All you can do is provide good care, and the vast majority of the time, it turns out well. If I see a pattern of dead slings emerging, I'll certainly step back and look at what I might be doing wrong, but so far this is the only death.

I don't ever hear people talk about Aphonopelma slings being fragile, only that they grow at a glacial rate. Debating on whether to get another one or not at the moment. They are really pretty when they grow up, even though it takes forever.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well one of my A. moderatum slings died for no reason. It was healthy, fat, and active compared to its two siblings, yet it still died. Slings just die sometimes and it is what it is.

It's two siblings are still alive but glacially slow growing. The larger one had four molts so far and isn't even 1/2'' yet. But it should be 1/2'' within it's next molt (hopefully).