1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sad Announcement

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by IrishPolishman, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Advertisement
    my Full Grown female A. Seemani isn't doing so well. Last night I noticed she was walking kinda funny. Today I checked her and she wasn't right at all. It was definitely DS. She was a T I bought off of craigslist. Her previous enclosure was super dirty and disgusting. I have a feeling it's a lingering ailment from her previous owner for which caused the DS. She is currently still alive but not moving except for a few little twitches here and there. She's in her ICU but doesn't seem to be experiencing any improvements.

So...what's the next step?

2. Protectyaaaneck

Protectyaaaneck Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

if shes allready in the ICU there is nothing else you can do but wait.

3. olablane

olablane Arachnobaron

Idaho
    Keeping fingers crossed!!!!!

4. should I be worried about it spreading to the other Ts? The A Seemanis tank is being sterilized right now. I also cleaned all around the area and the other enclosures. Also how common is this problem? Do we have anymore certainty on what causes it or how to prevent it?

5. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

lowering the temps as much as possible for long periods would help inhibit the growth of bacteria, if that is the cause of ds. I would lower temps to 60-65 for awhile.

6. I have heard of DS spreading to other Ts.

7. Protectyaaaneck

who says bacteria is the cause of DS? I wouldnt lower the temps, that could harm your t's further.

8. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

if ds is bacterial it is also contagious. We don't really know the cause though. Try quarantining the spider and lowering temps like I said. I have heard it prolongs the life of the spider and gives it a better chance of fighting it off whether it be a bacterial, viral, or fungal.

9. Protectyaaaneck

who says it isnt paint fumes? Don't lower the temps, if anything it should be put into an ICU with slightly higher temps.

10. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

that's why I stated "if that is the cause". I would do any means possible to fight an almost 100% fatal disease. Temp is the least of your problems if you've got a spider with ds.

11. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

And aid the growth of a possible bacteria? Many findings suggest that it's a bacterial disease.

12. I believe i've taken every precaution there is. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

13. Protectyaaaneck

I have a hard time understanding your rationale.

The cause of DS is unknown.
    So why would you reccomend treatment for a T when you dont even know the source of its problems?
    I would go with whats trusted and put it in a classic ICU.

14. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

An ICU would be the worst possible treatment for a t if ds is bacterial also; you've offered the perfect breeding grounds, temp, darkness, hydration, and humidity for the bacteria. Haven't you ever done a science fair project where you cultivate bacteria in your closet or something?

15. Protectyaaaneck

please show me these findings.

16. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

We need to try something else if an ICU hasn't helped the thousands of spiders that have passed to this ailment. And like I said, many findings suggest bacterial infection.

17. Protectyaaaneck

from what I've heard DS is untreatable, and I doubt simply "prolonging" the growth of bacteria will cure DS.
    again I really really really want you to show me proof that bacteria is the cause of DS.

18. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=17135

19. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080618164713AAFCwLQ
    "There have been a few people on here that have posted the same problem with their tarantulas. It definitely seems to be seasonal in outbreak. If they can make it to a molt, it seems that some can survive it. But, you will have to drip feed it water and pretty much use forceps to hand crickets right to it..
    Best of luck.."

20. Endagr8

Endagr8 Arachnoangel

THESE POSTS SUGGEST A BACTERIAL OR VIRAL CAUSE! SO LOWERING THE TEMPS IS AN UNDERSTANDABLE METHOD OF TREATMENT FOR A MISUNDERSTOOD DISEASE! And spiders have conquered it before also, it is just very very rare.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009