SA giant on eggs

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hi all,

I did something a bit stupid. I lifted the bark on one of my giants. She is on eggs. I put the bark back down, however it is noticeably offset now. I’m guessing they will get eaten because now a little bit of light can be let in and I disturbed her, however we shall see. At least I know it’s a female. I covered half of the tub with a piece of cloth to limit light.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't get too discouraged if she eats the eggs. I had two and each ate their eggs twice. A third time for one and they hatched out with no breeding between egg laying.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Wouldn’t worry too much. How long was the bark lifted for? And what species is it? Congrats anyway..

NYAN

Arachnoking
Wouldn’t worry too much. How long was the bark lifted for? And what species is it? Congrats anyway..
Less than 5 seconds. She moved a little bit when I saw her. I since covered the enclosure completely.

The species is what is being called Viridicornis in Germany. It’s robusta with bands.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Thanks! Me too. If I don’t hear her out at night within a week I’ll be hopeful. It would be nice to get some plings out there for people.
I was about to say, I’d love to have 1 or 2 plings if they hatch! Best of luck :)

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
With a 5s disturbance, you can be pretty sure she hasn’t eaten them. If she eats them at that stage, consider them infertile..

NYAN

Arachnoking
With a 5s disturbance, you can be pretty sure she hasn’t eaten them. If she eats them at that stage, consider them infertile..
That’s good to hear, although I’m the most unlucky person in existence. I think they are fertile because they were very yellow in color. I didn’t see a number or anything.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
I don’t think color is a definitive characteristic. I sure hope they’re fertile anyway. Fingers crossed man !

NYAN

Arachnoking
I recently got in another one of the same species. This one was around the same size, maybe a little smaller, very fat. I put it in an enclosure and it sealed itself off also.

For all I know I this one could be gravid also.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Damn.
Do keep in mind that brooding is seasonal. You could very well be a parent for the second time !

NYAN

Arachnoking
Damn.
Do keep in mind that brooding is seasonal. You could very well be a parent for the second time !

That’s very true. What a scary thought, potentially having two moms on eggs.

My first one is nicely covered up. I don’t think it has been out, however I can’t tell. I’m not sure when to and how to check on her. I think that the gestation time is 4 months? I would think that I would need to moisten the substrate at some point.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Closer to two! And yes, do moisten the substrate whatever it takes, humidity needs to be kept at the same level as what you’d expect usually: moist substrate, and not damp.. I use critter keepers that allow me to pour in water without even opening the enclosure, which is a plus..

NYAN

Arachnoking
Closer to two! And yes, do moisten the substrate whatever it takes, humidity needs to be kept at the same level as what you’d expect usually: moist substrate, and not damp.. I use critter keepers that allow me to pour in water without even opening the enclosure, which is a plus..
I dropped in like 1/3 of a cup of water through the holes in the top yesterday. Over the next day or two I’ll add some more. I checked inside this morning. I didn’t see the pede out and the enclosure looks the same as I remember it. The bark is offset a bit though but I couldn’t see under it.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Good luck! It would be nice to see the SA giants being bred here in the states, instead of the usual wild-caught.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Sounds very good! Drop water a little at a time as you’ve done already - I found it to be the way to go!

NYAN

Arachnoking
@NYAN any updates?
So far I haven’t seen or heard the first one. The second one seems to have come up at some point but I haven’t seen it.

I’m basically just keeping the substrate moist by dropping water in every so often.

I’ve been wondering when I should check on her and also when I can expect the eggs to develop into the transparent plings at least.

Last edited: