1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. subspinipes-which species on average grows the largest?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by A1will, Nov 20, 2011.

1. A1will

A1will Arachnopeon

New to the scene, been studying on care of pedes for a while now, and feel like I am sufficiently knowledgeable to care for one, whith out harming it. I am looking to buy something relatively cheap, but that grows big ( seeing that gigantea and galapagoensis are what drove me to this hobby) From what I've read the various S. subspinipes species sound like what I'm looking for. I'm having a difficult pinning down which species is a mix of two things. A) Common/Cheapest B) Grows the largest. If anyone could tell me/ talk to me about this I would greatly appreciate it ;) Thanks for your help
  2. KyuZo

KyuZo Arachnoprince

the vietnamese centipede is the one that you're looking for. They are cheaper because they are commonly imported.

The S. subspinipes dehaani from Myanmar is the asian that can grow very big. someone posted a picture of one that was around 12"-13" if i remember correctly, but it's not available in the U.S. market.
  3. CHLee

CHLee Arachnoknight

Malaysian giants get quite big too(around 9"),and chunky,gotta love their girth :p
  4. KyuZo

KyuZo Arachnoprince

i actually had a couple of those a while back. they died on me at around 8". i believe that it was due to old age.
  5. CHLee

CHLee Arachnoknight

About the S. subspinipes dehaani from Myanmar,are they the rusty red ones with red tipped yellow legs?like this one
  6. KyuZo

KyuZo Arachnoprince

7. coldvaper

coldvaper Arachnosquire

I have a subspinipes dehaani Vietnam, and its pretty big. Also carries a lot of girth, I would recommend it, I love it.

Also that pede above looks awesome. How big is it? Are they not commonly imported or not allowed to be imported into the states?
  8. CHLee

CHLee Arachnoknight

This specimen and another were from north Thailand,around Chiang Mai.I've seen the Malaysian type at a pet store before,they're more to a olive colour,except for the head which is still red

---------- Post added 11-21-2011 at 01:32 PM ----------

around 9inches,got it when it was 8inches
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

yeah, i had them too,same deal w/the passing on.

---------- Post added 11-21-2011 at 09:38 AM ----------

oh, yeah these aswell,back then,they were very hardy,man i would love to get more.........................
  10. A1will

A1will Arachnopeon

Can anyone point me to a reputable dealer/seller that might carry the Vietnamese? Seems like most of the ones I saw here mostly carried US species.
  11. KyuZo

KyuZo Arachnoprince

I got mine from LLLreptile when they first came in. i went into their store and i noticed that they had theirs on a heat mat, but it was pretty dry. i told them to spray some water in there and all the pedes immediately began to drink. I was very hesitant to get some, but decided to get some anyway because the price was right. anyway, i bought mine in person and was able to pick out the healthy ones that i wanted. a friend of mine had his shipped to him. the centipede died on him after a few days. mine are alive and doing well.
  12. A1will

A1will Arachnopeon

I'm in metrodetroit area, currently poking around on here trying to find something local. But a reputable online seller would work also.

---------- Post added 11-21-2011 at 09:38 PM ----------

Anyone know of either?
  13. KyuZo

KyuZo Arachnoprince

if you can't get the S. subspinipes, then i would just go with the S. alternans (Haitian giant or florida keys) Sam Floyd has some florida keys for sale. if you want his contact, then let me know.
  14. Travis K

Travis K TravIsGinger Active Member

I got mine at a LPS here in Spokane for $20. She has grown about 1.4" in my care.

15. pavel

pavel Arachnobaron

Unless you are in some dire hurry, go to the Taylor herp show next month. Always seem to see some there.
  16. A1will

A1will Arachnopeon

Thank you for the advice pavel, I am new to the metro detroit area, and had just heard about the taylor show and was planning on going. That it a relief to hear that.
  17. zonbonzovi

zonbonzovi Creeping beneath you Staff Member

Thanks for the geographical info, CHLee. By the time the imports get here and a convenient sales name is added it's hard to figure out where they may have come from. I couldn't tell you how many different names I've seen for the same damn centipede. I'll assume from now on that "Thai red tip" = "Myanmar giant".
  18. sk12457

sk12457 Arachnopeon

def.JPG abc.JPG

I have different types of De haanis,,(Vietnamese, Chinese, Malaysian,,) but Myanmar is the largest, here is some pictures.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  19. coldvaper

coldvaper Arachnosquire

Wow that pede is impressive thickness wise, that iphone reference just really shows how large it is. Too bad I haven't seen any of these for sale.
  20. EMWhite

EMWhite Arachnosquire

• Like Like x 1