S Subspinipes Venom?

styrafoamcow

Arachnopeon
Staehilomyces I like your quote signature thing or whatever it's called. is it from someone or did you make it up? Also you are very brave to hold your centipedes. I would love to try but all my species are so terrifying. They are mainly asian species and they are ferocious. the scariest species I had was chinese tiger legs. The ones I had were only 5-6 inches long so luckily they weren't fully grown but I have never had a species as scary as them

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Yeah. The envenomation I copped from my Ethmostigmus rubripes was also a mild "test" bite. I was pretty inexperienced at handling centipedes back then, and have never come close to being envenomated ever again after that experience. I know from what other people have said that E. rubripes can be MUCH worse than my experience, so I guess I'm just lucky that my one mistake only resulted in a weak envenomation.
I would handle any centipede or even a venomous snake that had a reputation for being chilled out and predictable. You know your own animals. The chances of a severe bite increase as the specimen becomes agitated. The guy in know who got a severe bite from S. heros was most definitely handling the animal in a way that agitated it. He does a herp and wildlife show for schools and sometimes TV. I've seen pictures of him casually pinning S. heros and grasping them by the head for crowds to look at. That is how you piss off heros and get a bite like that. The problem with S. dehaani is that they are easily agitated. The one that I have had the longest has calmed down quite a bit but not enough to trust it.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Staehilomyces I like your quote signature thing or whatever it's called. is it from someone or did you make it up? Also you are very brave to hold your centipedes. I would love to try but all my species are so terrifying. They are mainly asian species and they are ferocious. the scariest species I had was chinese tiger legs. The ones I had were only 5-6 inches long so luckily they weren't fully grown but I have never had a species as scary as them
I did actually come up with that myself. I sent this text to the Spidder Facebook page as part of a "meme" of sorts, and they posted it a few weeks ago. You should be able to find it if you go through their photos. The comments it got from butthurt bug-haters were both hilarious and a little worrying. Most of them wouldn't pass a grade 5 bio exam ("but bugs aren't animals!!!").

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I did actually come up with that myself. I sent this text to the Spidder Facebook page as part of a "meme" of sorts, and they posted it a few weeks ago. You should be able to find it if you go through their photos. The comments it got from butthurt bug-haters were both hilarious and a little worrying. Most of them wouldn't pass a grade 5 bio exam ("but bugs aren't animals!!!").
It should be on a meme. You have the potential for accomplishing great things in the field of science if that is what you chose.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It should be on a meme. You have the potential for accomplishing great things in the field of science if that is what you chose.
Yeah you should learn to modify the uhh, respiratory/circulatory systems of spiders so they can get larger, that way we can have our own ploy against the coming automation crisis for 80% of the modern world.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Like publishing journal papers and discovering new species.

ReBeL08

Arachnopeon
Yeah. The envenomation I copped from my Ethmostigmus rubripes was also a mild "test" bite. I was pretty inexperienced at handling centipedes back then, and have never come close to being envenomated ever again after that experience. I know from what other people have said that E. rubripes can be MUCH worse than my experience, so I guess I'm just lucky that my one mistake only resulted in a weak envenomation.

Hi how venomous is s.subspinipes? Not s.dehaani because i like to handle it i want it to get tamed in handling its 5 inch now

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would handle any centipede or even a venomous snake that had a reputation for being chilled out and predictable. You know your own animals.....
This reminds me of a picture in the local newspaper many years ago. A guy who had raised a blacktail rattlesnake and "tamed" it (on this board it gets called "socializing" or some such thing) invited a reporter from the newspaper to meet the snake and do an article on it. The picture on the front page of the paper was the guy holding his "tame" snake with a look of total surprise on his face as the snake sinks both fangs into his hand.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
That’s from a dehaani, not subspinipes. Subspinipes is probably a little less awful than that though. Asian centipede bites are no joke generally.
The title said subpinipes...confusing :shy:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not long ago dehanni was considered a subspecies of subspinipes. Even now a lot of people aren't aware of the change and still sell dehanni as subspinipes. I suspect when the bite report was submitted the author wasn't clear on the fact that dehanni was no longer a form of subspinipes.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I believe a lot of things, some rational, some less so. Here are three of them:

1. It is not wise keeping a large dangerous centipede when you have a young child living in the house. I know people keep all sorts of dangerous animals, flame war, flame war etc... But centipedes are particularly good at escaping, and do end up being found in rags and clothes piles, and the bite from large subspinipes/dehaani is not something to be taken lightly, even if it's not lethal. I also know that in some countries & conditions people live alongside centipedes, and bites are a reality of everyday life etc, etc... but they don't have a choice in the matter, whereas bringing one into the home as a pet is a choice. I have a 12 year old and I don't keep large dehaani, simply because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something did happen.

2. Smaller centipedes can be highly rewarding. Some of my favourite species are under the 6" mark, like S. mirabilis, and E.trigonopodus. You don't need a giant to enjoy centipede behaviour, but of course that's highly personal.

3. If you have a powerful dream, or a recurring dream, then listen to it. I've had crazy premonitory dreams, including with my pets, that have come true. That's not to say that every powerful dream is a premonition or a warning sign, more often than not it means you've eaten too much cheese the night before. It could also be your imagination playing up, and if there's PTSD then there's probably a whole other angle to it.

(Ps: You're not going to find S.mirabilis or S.cingulata in the states. Polymorpha are pretty common though)

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I found an article claiming that a 4 year old child in Venzuela died of a bite from a species identified as S.gigantea.

A few things to note:
  1. The story seems credible - the medics even express surprise at the fact it was a centipede, as its usually snakes which cause fatal bites.
  2. The species may well be S.gigantea (i.e. the real gigantea, not white leg from Peru) as it is in its natural range.
  3. The species may well be S.subspinipes as it has been introduced there too (I don't know who did the ID)

https://web.archive.org/web/2016032...o-tras-ser-picado-por-ciempies-gigante/161872

wingedcoatl

Arachnopeon
Hey there! Thanks for serving, brother. Marine here. I know next to nothing about centipedes and less than that about whether or not a bite from one could be fatal so I'm not going to speak to that. What I will say is that if it's becoming a trigger for you and messing with your mind as to whether or not it's going to harm your kid then I'd say to part ways with it. If you've got PTSD then you've got enough stuff damaging your calm. Maybe you can trade it for something else you'd like just as much that won't bring up that internal conflict for you. Framing it as a decision between what's healthy for you and a little piece of your hobby makes it an easy choice in my opinion, but you ultimately have a responsibility to do what's right for yourself. Just my two cents. I hope that whichever you choose you can get some peace of mind. You've earned it.

DMTsExotics

Arachnopeon
I had a similar dream except i felt the pain accurately and remember it from the dream. subspinipes arent that bad toxicology wise its the Dehaani thats got a confirmed kill and it was an allergic reaction as Scolopendra venom is loaded with allergens theres a post on herr somewhere covering the venom of dehaani and its pretty accurate

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
.... However, there is an unknown Scolopendra sp. from Malaysia/Riau, nicknamed the Malaysian tiger or Riau giant, that is even more venomous....
You caught my attention with this. Do you have any further information about this beast? My initial internet search didn't find anything. (But I'll keep trying.)

NYAN

Arachnoking
You caught my attention with this. Do you have any further information about this beast? My initial internet search didn't find anything. (But I'll keep trying.)
It’s an unknown species. The only person who had one was Michael Dixon. He claims it is one of the most potent centipedes out there.