1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Subspinipes not eating?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Centaaronpede, May 15, 2019.

1. Centaaronpede

Centaaronpede Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello all, ive just recently added a S. Subspinipes to my collection. However the little (big) dude doesn’t seem to want to eat. Twizzler terrarium is set up great with high humidity and the second day she ate a Dubia Roach. However I put a mouse in there for her and she didn’t touch it. It’s been overrun now with little decomposer insects and she was acting hungry so I put another mouse in there for her. Again she hasn’t touched it but occasionally is out and about. It’s been about 2 weeks she hasn’t ate so I’m just curious as to what the reason might be? Thanks!

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

There is no need to feed mice to your centipede. While they can take mice and will sometimes do so in the wild, the reality is that a mouse is far too much food for one sitting, so the majority of it will go to waste, attract mites, flies, dermestids, or other decomposers/scavengers, get moldy, and make your cage stink. You should always remove uneaten food and "left-overs" promptly so they don't provide breeding grounds for other bugs or fungi or turn your substrate into a putrid mess.

Also, even though these centipedes do require more humidity than their desert cousins, they also require good ventilation. If the cage is too wet/stuffy/humid, your centipede could end up with mycosis (fungal infections).

If the dubia roach that she ate on the second day was a large one, it may well have been enough food to last her for a week or two without her getting hungry. Centipedes are aggressive feeders and impressive to watch when they take down prey - but they don't need to be fed all that often. Once every week or two - with a good sized prey insect - is plenty.

Post pictures of your centipede and her enclosure and some of the people here can tell you if there are any major problems with your setup that need to be fixed to keep your centipede healthy and happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Centaaronpede

Centaaronpede Arachnopeon

Thanks for the help! And I do have a thread on my enclosure posted! A few people looked it over and said it looked fine but may have been too moist so I toned down the spraying a lot. It’s an acrylic tank that has two mesh vent holes on the side (both about 2 inches in diameter) and I have about an inch to an inch and a half layer of sand then about an inch and a half to 2 inches of mossy and grassy soil I took from my backyard.

4. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    Yea, don't do the mouse thing there is no need. The pede might not be hungry. Don't feed her for a week and try again with dubias.

• Agree Agree x 2