S. s mutilans, can you guys help me with some info?

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK, so I am getting a s. s. mutilans to replace my recently lost s. subspinipes. How big do these guys get? I really would like to hear what kind of substrate you guys use. Do they hide all the time or are they fairly active like s. subspinipes? Humidity needs to be high, that is a given, any other care tips, most importantly PICTURES. Ack, I am just being greedy, but any care info, like past experiences, are most welcome.

Thanks!!!!

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
mutilans

Hey Cooper! I have two S s mutilans at the moment and alot of pedelings as well. This is one of my favourite species. They don't require as much humidity as other subspinipes sp. The easiest thing is to make one moist and one rather dry part in your setup. Put something to hide under in both parts then the pede can choose where it wants to hide and where it feels comfortable. As substrate I use 50/50 peat/pottingsoil.

S s mutilans is a very "active"(more active than most centipedes) species. They don't grow that big though, about 6". They aren't as fast and aggresive as most pedes(still fast though), but if they get a chance - They will surely bite.

They are very good eaters and do very well in captivity.

I have posted several pictures of S s mutilans earlier. Just check the history on AP and you'll find them.

Take care and good luck with your new friend!

/Martin

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Aftershock's description is very good. I have one that's about 4" that I raised from a pedeling and it's been a great centipede. It's almost always out in view, feeds well, and isn't too much of a psycho to work with. It's a very good species.

I keep mine on the same thing my Ts get: 50/50 peat verm. It gets a water dish and I occasionally mist the substrate to keep it slightly moist, emphasis on slight. It doesn't like things completely dry (will bury itself and not come out) but will spend all its time perched on something if the moisture levels goes beyond slight.

For the longest time I raised it in a 32 oz deli container but it's length finally got to be too much. Now it's in modified glad sandwich container. The only downside is that it can get out when I'm working in it if wants (so I work with it in a larger container). I need to find something that's taller than the pede one of these days ;)

Attachments