1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Polymorpha vs. Heros in Captivity

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Dovey, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    I'm adding my account to the general knowledge regarding United States domestic Scolopendra in captivity. I almost didn't purchase the polymorpha, thinking it somehow wasn't as sexy or interesting as my Scolopendra heros.

So glad I did! The polymorpha is out so much more than the heros, who is almost always curled up below the soil under the water dish. I also rarely get to see the heros eat, whereas the polymorpha only rarely refuses a meal. Also, the difference in price is considerable, with the polymorpha being a budget-friendly purchase at $24 and heros hovering around the $80 - $100 mark.

Eventually the heros, at 7 inches, will grow larger; but the polymorpha, pretty slow growing at 6 inches, has been an active and charming edition to my collection. For anyone considering it, I would highly recommend the polymorpha.

• Like Like x 2
  2. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    You should post this in the Myriapod forum, that's where the 'pede folks gather....great post!

3. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoknight Active Member

This is odd as I have the opposite experience. My S. heros castaneiceps is almost always out and and my S. heros arizonensis comes out whenever it's hungry, day or night. The only way I see my S. polymorpha is lift it's hide.

By the way, I kept both my S. heros enclosures 1/4 damp and 3/4 bone dry. I expanded to 1/2 damp because except when hunting both my S. heros spend all their time in the damp side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight Active Member

I have a polymorpha and it is never out, I've seen it once since I got it and that was in one of it's tunnels against the side of it's enclosure. Food disappears so I know it's fine, but I sure would like to see it on occasion.

5. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

Isn't it funny how experiences can vary?

Also though, it occurs to me that when I first got my polymorpha, it did tend to stay hidden most of the time. At one point I thought it had escaped! I lifted about half the dirt out of its habitat for another project, retroactively realizing I could have gotten a pretty nasty bite. As it turns out, he was curled up in the other side and has been a extrovert ever since. Perhaps a little less soil has benefited my ability to observe. Intend to moisten his soil and Let It Go pretty dry before adding more moisture.

I try to keep the heros' soil moist all the time, as they strongly prefers riparian habitats in the wild here in Arizona, and we mostly see them after a good rain. Our native soil has enough clay in it that if you dig down even just a few inches, you can achieve a cool moist environment, even in the height of the Sonoran summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

CT
    Gotta love Scolopendra polymorpha! Easily to socialize as well.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Any photos of the S. polymorpha? Believe it or not, the end size can generally be determined by the color morph.

8. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

9. Phormic28

Phormic28 Arachnoangel Active Member

Don't mean to derail this thread, but can you by chance list out the color morph and size for S. polymorpha?