S. Heros

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Does anyone know what parts of Texas the S. Heros can be found in? I'm planning to go rock flipping not too far outside of Austin at the Devil's Backbone and I'm expecting to find ground beetles, lots of scorpions and butterflies, but I would be ecstatic if I could find a Heros or any centipede at all really.

NYAN

Arachnoking
They should be found around there. The polymorpha from Texas get big too btw. I hear that they can be found close to water with better chance, or after it rains it’ll drive them closer to the surface.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
There's a river not far from where I'll be so I can look in both and dry and moist areas. Would it be better to look during the day or the night? I'm bringing a black light too so the scorpions glow.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I’ve never hunted for pedes at night and have found plenty flipping during the day. They will be out and about at night hunting though. You could always do both.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Let me know though how it works for you. I’ve only hunted heros once and found nothing, I plan to take a trip to Tucson and New Mexico soon to try again.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'll post some pictures after I get back. I'm going up there for spring break and I won't be back home until the 17th. I've found some interesting things up there in the past though, my favorite being a walking stick that was around 8 inches.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to collect from a state or national park without a permit.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
That whole area excluding the restricted zones has been highly recommended to me.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Davis Mountains
Yep, I've camped a lot in the vicinity of the Davis Mountains and had some amazing centipede encounters.

Prettiest heros I've ever seen was just outside of Balmorhea State Park. Granted, I wasn't looking for centipedes, and I nearly jumped out of my skin! :astonished: