S. Heros

Woody

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was thinking about getting a S. Heros. Anyone own one that can give me some tips or anything? How big do they get?

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Depending on the species, they're color varies alot. They get about 8in.Go to petbugs.com and go to caresheets, descritive on the subspecies and stuff like that.
Steve

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
They're pretty straightforward.... no special care. Make sure they have access to a decent sized container of open water in their cage, and you should never have to worry about humidity. Temps get pretty low in the desert at night where they live, and mine have done fine in rooms where the overnights drop to 65ish. I would take care that temps don't go over 85 though... they tend to try to escape the heat of the day, not bask in it.

They are also sometimes picky eaters. I have had mine just not eat for two or three weeks at a time. They are VERY vicious eaters, but only on THEIR timetable... as a beginner, I was freaked out by this. "Oh my gosh, centipedes are supposed to be vicious bloody killers and eat everything in sight and mine aren't eating WHAT'S WRONGG AGGGAGAGAGAGAGA" You get the idea. I feed 1-to-many large crickets usually just once a week. If they don't eat, I try again the next week. Centipedes do just fine on occaisional feedings, especially this species. One of mine didn't eat for almost a month before a molt, talk about scary! :)

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think an S. heros might be nice as a second pede for me in a while. Hows their venom? Im sure its nowhere near a subspinipes or anything, but how painful is it?

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Though mine isn't coming "home" until next week, the man I'm getting it from suggests feeding it before you try watering it...:eek: And if it's anything like the S.polymorphia, I can understand the reasoning behind the tip. Voracious little monster seems to think the "giant hand" is just a weird looking pinky at times. But at least I won't have to worry too much about it trying to eat my hand for a little while longer as it's only about half grown. I know they are quite entertaining to watch at feeding time too, particularly if they are hungry :cool:

As for venom, it is painful enough to cause several to go to the ER to get serious pain killers...

Woody

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey, thanks for all the tips! I appreciate all of them. I will order one shortly.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Pede venom

With the exception of polymorpha which is widely reported to have mild venom, I think it's all just a degree of excruciating pain if you get bit by a pede. Ergo, don't get bit, ever, by any of them :)

Given that they can't climb things the way a T can, my opinion is that any pede is as good as another for a "beginner". If you are choosing a pede based on the assumption you might get bit, you need to re-think having one at all imo.