S. heros collection data base.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Great thread with good info, kudos! Had to give it an award for the detailed data and commitment to update your thread over time. I've wanted one of these for over ten years. Seem to be much rarer now than when I first got in to the hobby.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Thank you!

I'm starting to pin down the most likely times to find them. More data is needed but it looks like their active temperature increases with higher humidity even with the absence of wet ground. A shallow water table also seems to increase the probability of specimens being out even when humidity is low. It isn't in the data but the first three were found within a few miles of an old well that had water about 3 meters below ground level. A good indicator of a shallow water table is moss on the surface of the dirt. Although a lot of them have been found in washes or near washes they are also present on rocky hillsides and bar ditches and in the flats. I think I've seen a few crossing the road that I couldn't verify so the data isn't recorded. When I actually get a good look at what I'm seeing I'll document it.

Someone from the hiking group I host collected one last night at 2300 hour (the data will be available this weekend).

If you find one in the wild jot down as much data as you can. Everyone is welcome to add to this database.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I wish I could look for them and help add to this but I live in Denver. We have S. polymorpha here but I've only seen one. Then again I haven't exactly given it much effort beyond one day when I first moved here. The one I found was actually by my friend's garage on the asphalt in a crease with some leaf/grass/dirt clutter wandering around. Beautiful blue, no catch cup, I was a little upset lol. I had a larger one back in Louisiana that a coworker brought me when he found it in his baby's crib. He knew I'd be able to tell him if it was dangerous or not and I got a free critter haha. Only WC centipede I've had.

I guess I've never thought about how deep a large volume of water could be and still have visible effects on the surface. Interesting. Makes sense though, same principle as in terrariums, even if it's dry on top if it's moist underneath it will still add moisture/humidity on the surface.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Awesome! It is informative threads like this that will help centipedes climb the popularity ladder in the invert hobby.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 2300 hour, 14 July 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, 7-8 inches long (18-20 cm) collected on open ground with scattered brush in a high desert arroyo.
Precipitation: In between heavy rain.
Temp: 76F (24C), [Daytime temp apx 105F(40C)]
Humidity: above 60%
Soil: Wet, rocky, with decomposed granite loamy soil.
Habitat: Sonoran Desert high arroyo.
Vegitation: Yucca, cholla, mesquite, (no Saguaros present).
Elevation: apx 3283 ft (1001 m)

Specimen was on flat ground less than 100 meters from a stock pond (Where toads were breeding). Specimen collected. Appears to be a male, will sex it to verify.
IMG_0290.JPG

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to say this is an excellent and informative thread and congrats on being able to collect some successfully, I know you've been at it for a while :)

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 0015-0045 hour, 16 July 2017
Three S. heros arizonensis, (plings) 1 inch long (2.5 cm) found under separate railroad ties in a trash pile.
Precipitation: After an extended period of rain, still sprinkling off and on.
Temp: 75F (24C), [Daytime temp apx 102F(40C)]
Humidity: above 60%
Soil: Wet, rocky, with decomposed granite loamy soil.
Habitat: Sonoran Desert mountain.
Vegetation: Saguaro, cholla, mesquite.
Elevation: 3064 ft (934 m) (Trash pile visible from satellite).

It was raining most of the night. There was absolutely nothing out, not even S. polymorpha or A, chalcodes. We decided to go to an abandoned ranch house and flip garbage and rocks. Three S. heros plings were found under separate railroad ties within a 30 minute period. Two were collected one got away.

In 25 years of herping I have never found any S. heros flipping in the Sonoran Desert but I haven't flipped at night in the rain either. If you are in the right habitat in the Sonora Desert the soil might be wet enough right now to flip over trash and rocks for S. heros in the daytime. I'd be doing it right now if I wasn't already beat from doing it last night.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 2030 hour, 17 July 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1 inch long (2.5 cm) found under railroad tie in a trash pile (same place as yesterday).
Precipitation: Heavy rain yesterday.
Temp: 82F (28C), [Daytime temp apx 100F(38C)]
Humidity: apx 55%
Soil: Still moist under wood and rocks, rocky, with decomposed granite loamy soil.

Returned to same trash pile. Collected one pling. Placed some pitfall traps under railroad ties.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 1745 hour, 18 July 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1 inch long (2.5 cm) found under a large boulder near a rotting Saguaro.
Precipitation: Light rain 30 minutes prior.
Temp: 80F (27C), [Daytime temp apx 98F(37C)]
Humidity: above 50%
Soil: Moisture on surface and deep into the soil, some large boulders still dry underneath, rocky soil, with decomposed granite loam soil.
Habitat: Sonoran Desert mountain arroyo with granite outcroppings.
Elevation: 3126 ft (952 m).

Pling collected. After several days of rain the ground is finally wet enough to find pedes flipping over stuff in the day time.

Apx 1845 hour, 18 July 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1 inch long (2.5 cm) found under a boulder on road cut out on mountain side.
Precipitation: Light rain 1 hour 30 minutes prior.
Temp: 80F (27C), [Daytime temp apx 98F(37C)]
Soil: Moisture on surface and deep into the soil, some large boulders still dry underneath, rocky soil, with decomposed granite loam soil.
Habitat: Sonoran Desert mountain side with exposed granite outcroppings.
Vegetation: Saguaro, cholla, mesquite, moss on surface.
Elevation: 2977 ft (908 m).

Pling collected.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
You know you are doing good when housing and documenting all the new pedes starts to feel like a chore. Just worked myself to the bone flipping boulders and the night isn't over. Gonna be sore tomorrow.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 1930 hour, 20 July 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1 inch long (2.5 cm) found under railroad tie in a trash pile (same place as 16 July 2017).
Precipitation: Spotty monsoons within a mile, possibly sprinkled before I arrived.
Temp: 81F (27C), [Daytime temp apx 100F(38C)]
Humidity: apx 50 %
Soil: Dry under railroad tie it was under, Still moist under some wood and rocks, rocky, with decomposed granite loam soil.

Returned to same trash pile. Collected one pling.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 0035 hour, 22 July 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1 inch long (2.5 cm) found under a large boulder apx 1 meter up the side of a washed out barditch.
Precipitation: Heavy rain a few hours prior.
Temp: 78F (26C), [Daytime temp apx 100F(38C)]
Habitat: Sonoran Desert mountain-rocky, wash bank/barditch.
Elevation: 1763 ft (537 m).

Pling wasn't collected.

Last edited:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Apx 2030 hour, 2 August 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1.5 inch long (3.75 cm) found under a large boulder on the side of a wash bottom.
Precipitation: Heavy rain 30 minutes prior (still sprinkling).
Temp: Apx 75-80F (24-27C), [Daytime temp apx 100F(38C)]
Soil: Moisture on surface and deep into the soil, all soil wet under rocks, rocky soil, with decomposed granite.
Habitat: Sonoran Desert mountain-rocky, wash bank.
Elevation: 2927 ft (892 m).

Pling collected
Apx 2045 hour, 2 August 2017
One S. heros arizonensis, (pling) 1.5 inch long (3.75 cm) found under a large boulder several meters up the hill from a wash.
Precipitation: Heavy rain 45 minutes prior (still sprinkling).
Temp: Apx 75-80F (24-27C), [Daytime temp apx 100F(38C)]
Soil: Moisture on surface and deep into the soil, all soil wet under rocks, rocky soil, with decomposed granite.
Habitat: Sonoran Desert mountain-rocky, wash bank.
Elevation: 2931 ft (894 m).

Pling collected

First week of August and after a week of not finding any plings. Plings collected appeared to have been from a fresh molt (likely 3rd instar). Plings I have collected before this point haven't grown on crickets and small roaches. Does anyone have any suggestions to jump start them? I'm going to try feeding them termites and grubs, (something that they would encounter naturally under rocks). I am also going to give them a larger enclosure with a rock to sit under (they are currently digging their own hides). They have water available and the coco fiber is medium moisture with a wet spot available. I'm considering putting them on the same fine decomposed granite sand that I am finding them in under rocks. My house is usually 76-81°F, supposed to be perfect.

Crowbawt

Arachnopeon
The granite sand might be a good idea, many people (including myself) mix sand and/or gravel into centipede sub.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
let me just say, THANK YOU for this thread!! as somebody living in AZ at the moment, i can not tell you just how valuable this information has been! i haven't collected any specimens yet, but using this info was able to find 2 S. heros arizonensis so far. i was not out looking specifically, but i happened to be driving through Pinal county with a buddy and saw some areas that looked like they really fit your descriptions. we had an extra day to burn so we stopped and decided to see what we could find. it helped immensely and the way you have everything layed was simple enough for somebody like me to still use it effectively. so thank you :)

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
let me just say, THANK YOU for this thread!! as somebody living in AZ at the moment, i can not tell you just how valuable this information has been! i haven't collected any specimens yet, but using this info was able to find 2 S. heros arizonensis so far. i was not out looking specifically, but i happened to be driving through Pinal county with a buddy and saw some areas that looked like they really fit your descriptions. we had an extra day to burn so we stopped and decided to see what we could find. it helped immensely and the way you have everything layed was simple enough for somebody like me to still use it effectively. so thank you :)
What area did you go to in Pinal County? They are so hard to catch when you first start out. You look so long that you forget what you are looking for and end up with your pants down when you finally see one.