S. heros acting lethargic (possible pre-molt?)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone, I purchased two S. heros specimens a week and a half ago, and the larger specimen has been acting strangely. After eating two crickets in its third day in its enclosure, it has since refused food a few times, which I wasn’t all that concerned about, as I thought it could just be in pre-molt. But when I came home today, it was sitting out in the open with its some of its legs semi-curled up and in an unusual position, and I figured it was about to molt. Fast forward around 6 hours later, it is still in the exact same position it was when I last checked on it. I prodded its terminals lightly with a paint brush, just to see if it was alright, and it was not responsive. The specimen is about 5” so I don’t believe it is dying from old age, and it’s only been in the enclosure for a week, which isn’t super moist btw, so it can’t be mycosis. Any ideas? I’m pretty concerned for my animal :( Thx

Attachments

Last edited:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
It does look a little moister than I keep this species which could do a toll pretty fast if ventilation isn't good but if it has only been a week I am skeptical that is the issue. The pede does look a little odd, do the antennae move if you blow on it or anything? Most pedes I have kept seem to hate when you do that. Could be molting on the surface I guess although I have never actually seen a surface molt as every time I either miss it or the pede molts underground. I'm also not sure I see anything that really screams pre molt. If it is gonna molt it probably will soon though and if it is dead you'll probably also be able to tell soon so not much to do besides wait.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
It does look a little moister than I keep this species which could do a toll pretty fast if ventilation isn't good but if it has only been a week I am skeptical that is the issue. The pede does look a little odd, do the antennae move if you blow on it or anything? Most pedes I have kept seem to hate when you do that. Could be molting on the surface I guess although I have never actually seen a surface molt as every time I either miss it or the pede molts underground. I'm also not sure I see anything that really screams pre molt. If it is gonna molt it probably will soon though and if it is dead you'll probably also be able to tell soon so not much to do besides wait.
No movement from the antenna when I blow on it, just a few of the middle and hind legs twitch a little bit. I also picked it up to see if that could get any sort of reaction, and it was completely limp, just the middle and hind legs were twitching a little bit. Since it was twiching a little bit, I’d assume that it’s still alive, so I’ll just wait and give an update in the morning. Here are some pics of the ventilation in the enclosure if it helps....

Attachments

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Update: When I went to check on the pede this morning I was quite worried, as it was in the exact same position that it was last night. But when I went to blow on it, it quicky bobbed it’s head/antenna up and down and moved out of the way. It was still lethargic and not moving in the fashion pedes normally move, but it was encouraging to see that it was responsive. Anyone still have any clue what’s going on? I’ve never seen a pede behave like this before.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Make sure it has access to water. I see a water dish there but it's one of those that dries out quickly. I had a pet store dehaani that was acting kind of like this, moving very slow, unresponsive, legs a little curled, and it was dehydrated. I gave it a water dish and it drank for hours then perked right back up.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Make sure it has access to water. I see a water dish there but it's one of those that dries out quickly. I had a pet store dehaani that was acting kind of like this, moving very slow, unresponsive, legs a little curled, and it was dehydrated. I gave it a water dish and it drank for hours then perked right back up.
Yea there’s water in the dish and substrate is semi-moist, so it already has access to water. So I’m skeptical that this is the issue. Thanks for the input and I’ll still definitely take it into consideration :)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Update: I just came home, and checked on the centipede. I blew on it again, and it reacted, but not as quickly as when I did it this morning. To see if it is sluggish due to dehydration, I gently picked up the pede with my tongs and placed its head in the water dish. I’ll report the results after a couple hours have passed. Fingers crossed this is the issue and that he/she pulls through!

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I keep mine in a bone dry enclosure with excavator clay that is hard packed and rock like. I mist it occasionally, i agree if you're keeping it too wet it will act sluggish, and over time could potentially die from illness associated with high humidity. I do provide mine a water dish and it drinks often, but when i do mist occasionally to keep the springtails alive, my heros becomes lethargic even from light misting. IMG_20190117_231944_706.jpg

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I keep mine in a bone dry enclosure with excavator clay that is hard packed and rock like. I mist it occasionally, i agree if you're keeping it too wet it will act sluggish, and over time could potentially die from illness associated with high humidity. I do provide mine a water dish and it drinks often, but when i do mist occasionally to keep the springtails alive, my heros becomes lethargic even from light misting. View attachment 298168
Ok, this is really helpful. Now I believe the enclosure may be too moist. I’ll probably just leave the lid off to let it dry out, while keeping the enclosure in a larger container, to prevent an escape. Thanks so much man, and I’ll keep you guys posted on how he/she does! :)

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Ok, this is really helpful. Now I believe the enclosure may be too moist. I’ll probably just leave the lid off to let it dry out, while keeping the enclosure in a larger container, to prevent an escape. Thanks so much man, and I’ll keep you guys posted on how he/she does! :)
Should be alright theyre tough pedes and it does rain in arizona on occasion, quite hard at times but not for very long. I actually have been fine tuning my enclosure, wasnt getting enough cross ventilation.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Update: Well, unfortunately the pede has passed away. It’s noticeably discolored and doesn’t react at all to any poking or prodding. :( I let the enclosure dry out for a week and I moved it to a warmer part of the house (Invert room is on the side of the house, where it’s a bit cooler). But despite my efforts, it still died. Still completely puzzled as to why it passed though, is it possible it suffered an impaction or is that only in Ts? Still appreciate all the help and possibilities you all suggested for me.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
I keep mine in a bone dry enclosure with excavator clay that is hard packed and rock like. I mist it occasionally, i agree if you're keeping it too wet it will act sluggish, and over time could potentially die from illness associated with high humidity. I do provide mine a water dish and it drinks often, but when i do mist occasionally to keep the springtails alive, my heros becomes lethargic even from light misting. View attachment 298168
That's really useful information. Looks like a stunningly healthy pede too.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I wonder if it had internal issues.
It’s possible. It was behaving normally for a week before it started acting strangely, and within another week, it was dead. I’m no expert, but I’m not super sure that parasites or other internal complications could cause it going from active and healthy to dead in one week. And I bought it from triprion, and knowing him, he would never intentionally sell someone a sick specimen. I guess the cause will always be a mystery...

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
It’s possible. It was behaving normally for a week before it started acting strangely, and within another week, it was dead. I’m no expert, but I’m not super sure that parasites or other internal complications could cause it going from active and healthy to dead in one week. And I bought it from triprion, and knowing him, he would never intentionally sell someone a sick specimen. I guess the cause will always be a mystery...
I had an older adult centipede show this exact same behavior before it died. It was an adult S. dehani. It ate fine for 2-3 weeks refused and then laid around until it died a few days later. It laid on the substrate motionless unless i messed with it and it was still pretty lethargic. Im guessing thats how some pedes act when they die from old age?.The behavior is almost identical in the same genus. Might be a Scolopendra thing?

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I had an older adult centipede show this exact same behavior before it died. It was an adult S. dehani. It ate fine for 2-3 weeks refused and then laid around until it died a few days later. It laid on the substrate motionless unless i messed with it and it was still pretty lethargic. Im guessing thats how some pedes act when they die from old age?.The behavior is almost identical in the same genus. Might be a Scolopendra thing?
That’s very interesting. You’re the only other person I’ve come across who has had the same thing happen to a pede. My pede was around 4.5”-5” body length and it was a heros, and as you probably already know, heros can get up to 8” BL, so I would be reluctant to think it died of old age, but who knows. Pedes can be weird sometimes.

PureXotics804

Arachnosquire
That’s very interesting. You’re the only other person I’ve come across who has had the same thing happen to a pede. My pede was around 4.5”-5” body length and it wa9s a heros, and as you probably already know, heros can get up to 8” BL, so I would be reluctant to think it died of old age, but who knows. Pedes can be weird sometimes.
Yea it is weird the behavior could be some kind of ailment that pedes are prone too? Potentially neurological or parasite related? Inverts systems aren't as complex and lack some of the DNA proofreading mechanisms that other animals have such as mammals so they are more prone to developing random ailments. In the pics below you can see it was eating and drinking normally then went to laying there, and it died in that same place same position days later.

Attachments