S. hardwickei... here's an update :(

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can't help but laugh at my title (with the :( face on it).

anyway, my female started out with a nice clutch of eggs I think and over time, she munch on them a few at a time. I actually caught her in action when i checked on her once and decided that I'm just gonna separate the protonymphs. there are only 2 left.

If I'm successful at this, then this would be another step toward breeding. I guess it's almost like with tarantulas, you can pull the eggsac after a certain amount of days, then provide artificial incubation. If it is successful with these two protonymphs, then you can probably separate the mom from well developed eggs and incubate them. altho, I will have to experiment with more eggs to be able to say for sure that it's safe. I still have 21 vietnamese pedes left, so once I have several females of the vietnamese specie on eggs and can afford to play around with 1-2 clutches, then I will give it a try, altho that probably won't happen for another year or so, unless Galapaheros over there with the amount of S. heros subspecies wants to give this a try.

Attachments

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Did you breed them or was it a WC adult?

Later, Tom

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they were captive borne and raised. they just hit maturity this year at 6", sexed, and bred. this is the first female to be on eggs.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cool!, interesting to see how it goes with the little plings. I don't think anybody has posted trying to push this stage through to the next molt that I know of, good luck with it.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good luck with the protonymphs Jason!

In the long run I know that you'll be successful with this beautiful species in one way or the other!

David

Low

Arachnoknight
Weak....
Good luck man, if anyone has the dedication u do....

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
She was eating the protonymphs?! I had always assumed that once the eggs developed into the next stage they were safe. I also assumed that once they hit that next stage, she would stop cleaning them. Anybody ever see otherwise with a clutch? That's rough, J, but kudos for trying something new with the protonymph separation.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i've stolen a S. polymorpha protonymph and raised it up just fine. only tried it once but it worked. just kept it in a low vent small deli on coco, a bit on the moist side but in no way dripping

Nanotrev

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've stolen a S. polymorpha protonymph and raised it up just fine. only tried it once but it worked. just kept it in a low vent small deli on coco, a bit on the moist side but in no way dripping
I was about to say, it seems like it would be similar to raising first instar scorpions.