S. hahni

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a Sicarius hahni for free. They are called six eyed crab spiders locally.

However i am uncertain of their nature, feeding etc. I know they come from desert like conditions. (They are found about 6 hours drive from where i stay) I have no clue how to care for them and i would appreciate any advice from people who own these.

Ps. I don't have it lined up to buy or anything, i can get one or i can leave it, your responses on how easy it is to care for these will determine that :)

Thank you

basin79

ArachnoGod
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get a Sicarius hahni for free. They are called six eyed crab spiders locally.

However i am uncertain of their nature, feeding etc. I know they come from desert like conditions. (They are found about 6 hours drive from where i stay) I have no clue how to care for them and i would appreciate any advice from people who own these.

Ps. I don't have it lined up to buy or anything, i can get one or i can leave it, your responses on how easy it is to care for these will determine that :)

Thank you
I own 3 Sicarius thomisoides. Amazing spiders. Provide an inch or so of sand and away you go. Although they're not in the least bit defensive obviously common sense should ALWAYS be used with them. Tongs to remove dead prey etcetera. There isn't a lot (any?) of research done on Sicarius sp venom but it's believed to be very potent. You want a container that has smooth sides and tall enough they can't simply run out. They can't climb smooth surfaces but you want the enclosure at least 3x their leg span just to be sure.

I use tubs around 7 inches square for adults. During the day they'll stayed buried but at night you'll see them wandering around a little. Feeding is as simple as dropping in a prey item. Once it gets within range the spider will show itself.

Here's a vid which shows mine in action. You can see how fast the venom works. Plus you get to see him bury. Seeing a Sicarius sp bury is 1 of the cutest things ever.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hi all,

Thank you
Sicarius might be *the* easiest spider (or animal of any kind) to keep. Small enclosure, an inch of sand (I'm using walnut shell) and throw in a small critter every few weeks. Keep it dry. They come out and stay out all night, and are pretty fun to watch hunt if you put in a beetle, cricket, anything with legs. I use a locking enclosure just to be safe (Rubbermaid Brilliance), they don't need water, and live a long time. Real, real pleasure to keep. If it wasn't for the "this will kill you" venom they'd be a perfect spider for anyone to keep, no real need to rehouse it and take up very little space. Use your tongs and your common sense. They can live a long time without food. I've seen a few people on YouTube giving these fancy, decorative enclosures and I feel that with this species that's kind of a waste, but I'd love to see ideas....

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I own 3 Sicarius thomisoides. Amazing spiders. Provide an inch or so of sand and away you go. Although they're not in the least bit defensive obviously common sense should ALWAYS be used with them. Tongs to remove dead prey etcetera. There isn't a lot (any?) of research done on Sicarius sp venom but it's believed to be very potent. You want a container that has smooth sides and tall enough they can't simply run out. They can't climb smooth surfaces but you want the enclosure at least 3x their leg span just to be sure.

I use tubs around 7 inches square for adults. During the day they'll stayed buried but at night you'll see them wandering around a little. Feeding is as simple as dropping in a prey item. Once it gets within range the spider will show itself.

Here's a vid which shows mine in action. You can see how fast the venom works. Plus you get to see him bury. Seeing a Sicarius sp bury is 1 of the cutest things ever.

Here's a decent relatively complicated summary of the venom with references (always with references!):
https://venomtech.co.uk/news/2015/01/sicarius-terrosus-venom/

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Sicarius thomisoides will change color depending on what color sand you put it on. I'm guessing S. hahni can do the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Mine was reddish brown when I got it but I wanted white and bought white sand for it - a little while later, white spider! I would like get more and try different colored aquarium sand - red, black, whatever - to see how good their camouflage is.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Sicarius thomisoides will change color depending on what color sand you put it on. I'm guessing S. hahni can do the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Mine was reddish brown when I got it but I wanted white and bought white sand for it - a little while later, white spider! I would like get more and try different colored aquarium sand - red, black, whatever - to see good their camouflage is.
It's the dust from the sand actually sticking to all the tiny hairs on the spider rather than changing colour. That's why they're red/brown again after a moult.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
It's the dust from the sand actually sticking to all the tiny hairs on the spider rather than changing colour. That's why they're red/brown again after a moult.
The article I read implied they change color (well, technically, they do) but further research shows you to be correct. But on the bright side my different (natural) colored sand idea should work really well.

basin79

ArachnoGod
The article I read implied they change color (well, technically, they do) but further research shows you to be correct. But on the bright side my different (natural) colored sand idea should work really well.
Aye it'll work.

NYAN

Arachnoking
Provide an inch or so of sand and away you go.
I disagree with this. In my experience people are keeping them kind of wrong by only providing sand. It isn’t bad but not optimum. They should be provided something to hide under as they will use it a lot. From what I’ve seen, people often find them underneath rocks and debris in the wild.

Small enclosure, an inch of sand (I'm using walnut shell)

See above. Also, I do believe that I’ve read that walnut shells can be toxic.

Besides keeping them on straight sand everything else everyone said is great advice.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I disagree with this. In my experience people are keeping them kind of wrong by only providing sand. It isn’t bad but not optimum. They should be provided something to hide under as they will use it a lot. From what I’ve seen, people often find them underneath rocks and debris in the wild.

See above. Also, I do believe that I’ve read that walnut shells can be toxic.

Besides keeping them on straight sand everything else everyone said is great advice.
If they hid under stones etcetera then why do they dig a hole and cover them with sand? Why do they have tiny hairs to trap dust particles to blend in better? Makes no sense they'd do that if they evolved to hide under rocks.

NYAN

Arachnoking
If they hid under stones etcetera then why do they dig a hole and cover them with sand? Why do they have tiny hairs to trap dust particles to blend in better? Makes no sense they'd do that if they evolved to hide under rocks.
The hairs serve for camouflage purposes. I imagine if they need to move around, especially for males this helps them. When found under rocks they will often be out with the dust stuck to them.

The digging is used to hide themselves just like they do for you. For me they sometimes bury themselves underneath their hides. I imagine they also do this in nature, and perhaps if they cannot find something to hide under.

It doesn’t make much sense for them to bury themselves out in the open in nature if can avoid it. They are more exposed to the heat and other elements this way and also are at risk for being trampled. It makes more sense for them to utilize hides. It also increases contact with prey items I would imagine, as they seek out shelter also

(https://ho.org.za/part-3-violin-and-six-eyed-spiders/)

This source mentions them being found at the mouths of caves, under soil near caves, under rocks and within rock outcroppings.

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
The hairs serve for camouflage purposes. I imagine if they need to move around, especially for males this helps them. When found under rocks they will often be out with the dust stuck to them.

The digging is used to hide themselves just like they do for you. For me they sometimes bury themselves underneath their hides. I imagine they also do this in nature, and perhaps if they cannot find something to hide under.

It doesn’t make much sense for them to bury themselves out in the open in nature if can avoid it. They are more exposed to the heat and other elements this way and also are at risk for being trampled. It makes more sense for them to utilize hides. It also increases contact with prey items I would imagine, as they seek out shelter also

“They don’t construct webs to catch their prey but rest under logs and bits of fallen wood etc.” (https://ho.org.za/part-3-violin-and-six-eyed-spiders/)

This source also mentions them being found at the mouths of caves, soil near caves, under rocks and within rock outcroppings.
I do find that very surprising. Like a trapdoor only building a trapdoor if there isn't cover available. From the years I've kept Sicarius they seem to have been made to hide under the sand and then spring out when they detect prey very much like a trapdoor spider.

I wonder if they've taken to hiding under rocks etcetera due to humans encroaching on their habitat?

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
They should be provided something to hide under as they will use it a lot. From what I’ve seen, people often find them underneath rocks and debris in the wild.
Interesting. I will give mine a small piece of cork bark today.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The question should be: why not providing a hide? Every spider is basically a freaking opportunist :bored:

Spiders = Wimpy (Popeye)

I mean, adding a stone and a piece of wood (stuff you can find in the desert) wouldn't harm a S.hahni, eh :playful:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
When found under rocks they will often be out with the dust stuck to them.
Somewhere out there is a white paper about exoskeletal coloration changes. Part of it was quoted to me once. The jist of it is the exoskeleton undergoes a color change with age. The older the animal, the slower. Otherwise, a general bleaching effect and the latent pigments that resist oxidation are the only factors that can alter it. That is where is gets complicated. Those pigments may have undergone a few million years of evolution - what remains and what fades out. And this applies to each and every different species relative to their native environment with minor variations in their present environment.
Best of luck sorting that all out.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
So i haven't been real active on this post because i wanted to get some more info before i say anything :p

So as you point out a hide can be provided, and yes they will use it. Speaking to the locals however also revealed a different side of the story, they say that when catching these for hobbyists such as myself they do find them under bark, stones etc. BUT they also told me that they more often than not find these little guys buried in the sand a few inches away from bark, rocks, leaf litter etc. So i have drawn the conclusion that you are both correct, they will use hides and some won't use hide. (Otherwise why would it bury itself literally a hand length away from natural hides in the wild?)

Maybe i am mistaken, i don't own them so i wouldn't know but i will post an update on this after my visit there and then i can come back and tell you what i found first hand :D Super exciting stuff to drive to go catch a spider for my collection..

Thank you for all the advice, i will be taking one with me depending on some of the local advice as well. The venom has me a bit worried but then again if you stay vigilant while cleaning and feeding i can't see why this should be a problem.

All the best guys, wish me luck on catching one :D :D

schmiggle

Arachnoking
It just occurred to me that they might use the hide when not hungry and hide in the sand when hungry (or vice versa), which would explain why they're found near hides but not under them in the wild.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
So i haven't been real active on this post because i wanted to get some more info before i say anything :p

So as you point out a hide can be provided, and yes they will use it. Speaking to the locals however also revealed a different side of the story, they say that when catching these for hobbyists such as myself they do find them under bark, stones etc. BUT they also told me that they more often than not find these little guys buried in the sand a few inches away from bark, rocks, leaf litter etc. So i have drawn the conclusion that you are both correct, they will use hides and some won't use hide. (Otherwise why would it bury itself literally a hand length away from natural hides in the wild?)

Maybe i am mistaken, i don't own them so i wouldn't know but i will post an update on this after my visit there and then i can come back and tell you what i found first hand :D Super exciting stuff to drive to go catch a spider for my collection..

Thank you for all the advice, i will be taking one with me depending on some of the local advice as well. The venom has me a bit worried but then again if you stay vigilant while cleaning and feeding i can't see why this should be a problem.

All the best guys, wish me luck on catching one :D :D
Honestly, I have much less worry cleaning/feeding this Genus than my centipedes or tarantulas; I haven't seen any inclination from Sicarius to climb up tongs, and 99% when you are in there they are buried.

There is a great YouTube video where a guy demonstrates (with a glove on) how he can nudge it gently and they are not terribly inclined to bite.