1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Donensis communal: Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by LordAnon, Oct 11, 2018.

1. LordAnon

LordAnon Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    So I've mentioned it in other threads I posted, and the replies have not been positive. Which shouldn't be surprising, but I took the word of the first supplier I ever met with them who was selling them as a colony.

Nonetheless, I'm already expecting anywhere between 4 and 5 in the next couple of weeks and I'm probably going to try communal. if I end up receiving 5, I'll probably separate one and put the others in a large plastic tub that I used to house an adult ball python in. It's not very tall, but it has a lot of surface area. My logic is that they're four 1 inch long scorpions, they've been known to be burrowers that like to hide,and so a 50 quart tub should give them enough room that as long as I give them enough food I'm hoping they don't cannibalize each other. I plan on having a few bigger rocks partially buried, plenty of cork bark, and a substrate that holds up well to burrowing ( so they get that done asap).

Am I being overly optimistic? Is this doomed to fail? I know these aren't a very popular species in the hobby, but maybe people with more experience with keeping scorpions communal he can give me their advice.

2. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnoknight Active Member

I would never try communal with a specie that's not truly communal.

3. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

I would keep them separate

4. LordAnon

LordAnon Arachnosquire

Well I guess that answers that. I'll probably talk to the seller about buying less then, since I don't really need 5 individual scorpions. It's a shame too, I was hoping their small size would allow for cohabitation.

5. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

There are some really neat vaejovids like V deborae and V vorhiesi that are quite small and communal. I have colonies of both and recommend them highly. V feti V cashi and V grahami are others as well.

6. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking

Socal
    donensis will kill each other.

7. LordAnon

LordAnon Arachnosquire

Yes, that seems to be the consensus.