1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Donensis communal: Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by LordAnon, Oct 11, 2018 at 3:50 PM.

1. LordAnon

LordAnon Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    So I've mentioned it in other threads I posted, and the replies have not been positive. Which shouldn't be surprising, but I took the word of the first supplier I ever met with them who was selling them as a colony.

Nonetheless, I'm already expecting anywhere between 4 and 5 in the next couple of weeks and I'm probably going to try communal. if I end up receiving 5, I'll probably separate one and put the others in a large plastic tub that I used to house an adult ball python in. It's not very tall, but it has a lot of surface area. My logic is that they're four 1 inch long scorpions, they've been known to be burrowers that like to hide,and so a 50 quart tub should give them enough room that as long as I give them enough food I'm hoping they don't cannibalize each other. I plan on having a few bigger rocks partially buried, plenty of cork bark, and a substrate that holds up well to burrowing ( so they get that done asap).

Am I being overly optimistic? Is this doomed to fail? I know these aren't a very popular species in the hobby, but maybe people with more experience with keeping scorpions communal he can give me their advice.

2. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnosquire Active Member

Canada
    I would never try communal with a specie that's not truly communal.

3. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

I would keep them separate

4. LordAnon

Well I guess that answers that. I'll probably talk to the seller about buying less then, since I don't really need 5 individual scorpions. It's a shame too, I was hoping their small size would allow for cohabitation.

5. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

There are some really neat vaejovids like V deborae and V vorhiesi that are quite small and communal. I have colonies of both and recommend them highly. V feti V cashi and V grahami are others as well.

6. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
  7. LordAnon

Yes, that seems to be the consensus.