S. Dehaani 'cherry red' enclosure

Arthropodon

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum because of some concerns about the enclosure I'm building.
I've had (and I still have) a few pedes, mostly S. Cingulata and S. Oraniensis and I'm about to get a S. Dehaani 'malaysian cherry red', for which I've already set up the terrarium.
It's a plastic tub measuring 34 cm (13 inches) long, 18 cm (7 inches) wide and 15.5 cm (6 inches) tall. It is practically completely escape-proof but I'm aware the ceiling is very very low, considering i've put a few inches for substrate, so I assume it would take a second for the Dehaani to escape if I were to leave the enclosure open for a while. I also have another plastic box, much taller and slightly bigger in general. I'd stick to the smaller one just because the pede is not fully grown and i'd prefer to keep it in a more restrained enclosure until it completely grows up. What would you recommend me to do?

This is the smaller box compared to my hand to get an idea of its size. IMG_20190626_090931626.jpg IMG_20190626_090937210.jpg IMG_20190626_090836822.jpg
IMG_20190626_090931626.jpg IMG_20190626_090937210.jpg

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Enclosure looks good for cherry red, this species like many centipedes does well with good ventilation so be sure you have plenty of air holes for it to get proper ventilation, depending on whether or not the cherry red you are getting is a high land form or low land form will determine if it will need to be kept a bit cooler, but generally it should be fine at room temp as long as your house/room/etc doesn't get above like 75 during the day. Highlands require a bit of attention as they don't receive high temps ever or if they do it's pretty rare as they live higher in the rainforest on the mountain opposed to the lowlands where it tends to be a bit warmer and they're a bit more forgiving on husbandry. Myself or any myriad of users can assist you with determining if you get a highland or lowland by visual inspections if you or the seller are unaware. Cheers they're fun pedes, don't get bit.

Arthropodon

Arachnopeon
Thank you very much for the info! I think it's the lowland variant because it's bright red with black bandings, I'll take some photos as soon as it arrives. During summer temperatures are really hot here, but I have two air conditioners so it's not a big deal. I just hope it can withstand the summer heat during shipping.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum because of some concerns about the enclosure I'm building.
I've had (and I still have) a few pedes, mostly S. Cingulata and S. Oraniensis and I'm about to get a S. Dehaani 'malaysian cherry red', for which I've already set up the terrarium.
It's a plastic tub measuring 34 cm (13 inches) long, 18 cm (7 inches) wide and 15.5 cm (6 inches) tall. It is practically completely escape-proof but I'm aware the ceiling is very very low, considering i've put a few inches for substrate, so I assume it would take a second for the Dehaani to escape if I were to leave the enclosure open for a while. I also have another plastic box, much taller and slightly bigger in general. I'd stick to the smaller one just because the pede is not fully grown and i'd prefer to keep it in a more restrained enclosure until it completely grows up. What would you recommend me to do?

This is the smaller box compared to my hand to get an idea of its size. View attachment 312869 View attachment 312870 View attachment 312871
View attachment 312869 View attachment 312870
The height is a concern, if it can reach the top, and there is no seal around the enclosure, it could find a way to get out if there is a gap along the sides.

Its worth spending a couple of bucks on a sterilite or the like with a seal, and taller just for the peace of mind.

Arthropodon

Arachnopeon
The height is a concern, if it can reach the top, and there is no seal around the enclosure, it could find a way to get out if there is a gap along the sides.

Its worth spending a couple of bucks on a sterilite or the like with a seal, and taller just for the peace of mind.
There is a seal on the lid, and it's also quite impossible to open it without unlocking it, however as you said it will be able to reach the top without a doubt and if there happens to be no lid for any reason, then it's over. I think I'll use this box for the first week just to see how it goes with maintenance
and feeding and I'll prepare a taller enclosure in the meanwhile.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
Generally you can keep them in a shallow tub like that given there is a gasket seal and sturdy locks. That being said there is always the possibility of a pede bolting and making an escape when you need to open the tub to work with that pede, you can alleviate this problem by having a larger tub around to put your pedes tub inside while you feed/photograph or water your pede, that way even if it does bolt from its enclosure, it is still contained in the larger tub and not loose in your home. Cheers.

Arthropodon

Arachnopeon
you can alleviate this problem by having a larger tub around to put your pedes tub inside while you feed/photograph or water your pede, that way even if it does bolt from its enclosure, it is still contained in the larger tub and not loose in your home. Cheers.
That's a brilliant idea, thanks a lot man! I will probably stick with this method for the first few weeks.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
I usually just plunk in feeders and refill water dishes through a strategically placed air hole. Then no need to open the enclosure.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I open all my pedes regularly, i sometimes leave their lids off for hours at a time. If i could figure out a well enough stategy to do so i would keep them in open air enclosures at all times.

Arthropodon

Arachnopeon
So I'm now 100% sure that I'll get the lowland form and not the highland one. Now, during summer temperatures may reach a peak of 29°C (84°F) in my invert room during the day and usually stay slightly cooler in the night, so would that be okay for the pede? I know that higher temperature means higher metabolism and shorter lifespan, but would it be harmful if I keep it that way for two months or so? Also considering it's the lowland variant which should be more tolerant than the other one.