Rump too small?

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Ok, my first real post here. I just received my first T through the mail(I had a Chilean Rose that I fostered for 3 years, my first T). It's an as yet unsexed B. albopilosum. I've had a few hours to look Fuzzy over thoroughly and he/she looks a bit odd to me. The rump is really small, like tiny. Is this normal? I've attached a pic to help out here. As an aside, I got Fuzzy from a not too great source, backwaterreptiles.com(I was already schooled on how bad they were after the fact on here) just in case that helps. Thanks ahead of time :)

Fuzzy4.jpg

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Just give it a few big meals, it should plump up. If it doesn't, thats when you worry. It just looks underfed to me, or perhaps it molted fairly recently. Ts always look pretty skinny after they molt.

user 666

Arachnobaron
It would help if we could get a view of the other side, but the most likely possibility is that this T is merely underfed compared to what you are used to.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Just give it a few big meals, it should plump up. If it doesn't, thats when you worry. It just looks underfed to me, or perhaps it molted fairly recently. Ts always look pretty skinny after they molt.
Ok, thanks. I just threw in the first cricket and it was dispatched in less than 5 minutes, a good sign for sure :)

user 666

Arachnobaron
I'd say that abdomen is about the right size.

you can fatten it up if you want, but there's nothing wrong with the way your T currently looks.

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter

you can fatten it up if you want, but there's nothing wrong with the way your T currently looks.
Ok, cool, that's a real relief, I only had the 3 year old Chilean Rose to compare it to, and she was a fattie ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, I do think this one is a bit on the very slim side - just feed it, it can take more than just one cricket ;). Give it a chance to really stuff it's face. After all it still needs to grow some I'd think, so it needs the nutrition. :)

14pokies

Arachnoprince
No way! That T is far from a healthy weight.. Alot of what your seeing that makes it appear normal in the second pic is the long dense hairs this species is known for.. It's very evident in the first pic that shows the underside of the T that it's underfed..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Ok, my first real post here. I just received my first T through the mail(I had a Chilean Rose that I fostered for 3 years, my first T). It's an as yet unsexed B. albopilosum. I've had a few hours to look Fuzzy over thoroughly and he/she looks a bit odd to me. The rump is really small, like tiny. Is this normal? I've attached a pic to help out here. As an aside, I got Fuzzy from a not too great source, backwaterreptiles.com(I was already schooled on how bad they were after the fact on here) just in case that helps. Thanks ahead of time :)

View attachment 237478
He looks to be recovering from a recent molt.. I notice you have a large water dish thats awesome.. keep it clean and filled.. If that was my T I would feed it 2-3 decent size crickets every other day untill it fattens up a bit..

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
No way! That T is far from a healthy weight.. Alot of what your seeing that makes it appear normal in the second pic is the long dense hairs this species is known for.. It's very evident in the first pic that shows the underside of the T that it's underfed..
Well, then he/she's gonna get fed well :) Already scoffed down 2 crickets and counting today. Maybe I'll go for one more then do it again tomorrow

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well, then he/she's gonna get fed well :) Already scoffed down 2 crickets and counting today. Maybe I'll go for one more then do it again tomorrow
Nice.. Only God knows when it ate or had access to fresh water last at Slackwater reptiles.. I really wish that place would get shut down.. Your lucky you recieved the species you wanted from them and not a turtle.. Your even more lucky it arrived alive!

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Nice.. Only God knows when it ate or had access to fresh water last at Slackwater reptiles.. I really wish that place would get shut down.. Your lucky you recieved the species you wanted from them and not a turtle.. Your even more lucky it arrived alive!
So I've been told...fell for the fancy website, should have done a bit more(okay A LOT more...)research first. I was concentrating more on which genus I wanted and not who to get it from. Live and learn ;) Glad Fuzzy got here in one piece, and was very relieved to find him/her well packed and protected....maybe they are learning....nah!

14pokies

Arachnoprince
So I've been told...fell for the fancy website, should have done a bit more(okay A LOT more...)research first. I was concentrating more on which genus I wanted and not who to get it from. Live and learn ;) Glad Fuzzy got here in one piece, and was very relieved to find him/her well packed and protected....maybe they are learning....nah!
Best place to buy Ts from is the For Sale section on this forum..
Don't feel to bad alot of people order from them and find out later they have a bad reputation..

Some good came from it.. your T has a new home with an owner that is eager to learn and you got a good looking T. I don't name my Ts but in this case considering his place of origin I would name him Lucky ;). Lol

Michael Livote

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter
Best place to buy Ts from is the For Sale section on this forum..
Don't feel to bad alot of people order from them and find out later they have a bad reputation..

Some good came from it.. your T has a new home with an owner that is eager to learn and you got a good looking T. I don't name my Ts but in this case considering his place of origin I would name him Lucky ;). Lol
Good one! Lucky it is!

Leila

Arachnobaron
Congrats on your new T! It is a cutie pie, and I am sure you will take great care of him/her. :embarrassed: