Rosie on her back 6 weeks prior to molting

cold blood

Staff member
Are you 100% sure its a female?

I'm sticking with the line you wanted me to elaborate on.

Males, once they mature, generally never molt again, on rare occasion they attempt it, but almost always die. This species however and for whatever reason, is known to actually be able to be able to pull it off...even if its really rare. Pics of it on its back would be perfect...a pic won't disrupt a molt process.

Its just so odd I'm searching my brain for an explanation and this seems the most logical...and it would also be far more likely to get the growth you did from a male, as they mature much faster....although admittedly, 3 years would be a very fast maturing rosie....and with that growth, I almost suspect it may not even be a rosie....as 3 years from the size you described is generally still a pretty small spider. Man, this is interesting on so many levels, I can't wait to see pics....I wish I could have been there to see this in person.

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, that's not a rosie. The legs are too lanky, the setae is too long, and it has white knees. Not sure what it is though, we'd need a better picture.
Nice, pic posted while I was typing.

Additionally Ryan, those long legs also scream MM.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Nice, pic posted while I was typing.

Additionally Ryan, those long legs also scream MM.
I completely agree, but like you said, that's still very fast maturation for a rosie. Without a species, we can't really tell. I think you're right though, might be a MM of another species.

colker

Arachnopeon
We need a pic from directly above and the front part.

Any pics you had prior to it flipping would be great, too.
Let me pull some old pictures, then I'll lift the top off her cage, it's hard to capture through the screen.

cold blood

Staff member
We'll see, if its a MM it will almost certainly get stuck at the palps/hooks and die sadly.

cold blood

Staff member
Certainly not a rosie. Looks like G. pulchripes to me. I also don't see bulbous pedipalps, so that's also not a mature male.

@cold blood does this species grow that quickly?
Looks that way to me as well....yeah, pulchripes can reach that size, in that timeframe, no problem. My group won't be a year for several months and many are at or over 2" already....the smallest ones are almost 1.5"

I don't know how you are able to see the palps in those pics....I can barely see what I need to see, although I could swear I see dark ends on those palps.

Is this the first molt since those pics were taken, or was there a second molt between then and now?

DeanK

Arachnosquire
What's the substrate? It looks almost like gravel? Also what was the yellow thing in the water dish? A sponge? Can

cold blood

Staff member
There the bands look white, like it could be a genic (Acanthoscurria geniculata) or brock. The other pic really looked like a pulchripes.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Well, according to the most recent pic, it's certainly not a mature male.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
There the bands look white, like it could be a genic (Acanthoscurria geniculata) or brock. The other pic really looked like a pulchripes.
In 3 years a genic should be bigger than 4 inches though, I think?

colker

Arachnopeon
QUOTE="DeanK, post: 2529509, member: 115117"]What's the substrate? It looks almost like gravel? Also what was the yellow thing in the water dish? A sponge? Can[/QUOTE]
s
Well, according to the most recent pic, it's certainly not a mature male.
Does the picture confirm it's female?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
3 yrs to 3" certainly not a Rosie.

The T was in a hot sauce container-- ALSO SUSPECT in terms of the owner. warning sign 1.

@viper69, you're not allowed to make fun of my Area 51 shenanigans anymore. This takes the cake by far. This is some Chernobyl nonsense right here.
Dude I cannot help the fact that only these>> :alien:alien can explain some of your observations!