Rosehair habitat change

Larry K

Arachnopeon
Hi All, I have a three year old female CRH that lives in a 10 gallon aquarium with EcoEarth substrate. While I was out of town, the person caring for my pets poured a bunch of water in the tank and soaked the substrate instead of filling the water dish. First question is whether the humidity (currently 80%) is harmful to the spider if I let it evaporate naturally. Second question is relating to changing tanks. I have a large reptile vivarium that is not being used and was thinking about moving the Rosey to that unit. Shes been in the small one since she was a baby and has molted twice in that environment. Would it be too stressful to move her to the bigger digs? Thanks you for helping me out; this is my first post on this board.
rosey.jpg

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Humidity is irrelevant for Ts.
This species hates damp sub, also the height of the enclosure looks way to tall. A fall may be fatal.

Another note: This T is a lot older than 3 years old ;)

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
It is recommended for the climbing height of a terrarium to generally not exceed more than 1.5 x the diagonal leg span measurement of the tarantula. So more dirt in there would be a safeguard against potentially dangerous falls. Since you have to put more substrate in anyways, you can just move the spider in a take away plastic cup and lid and freshen everything up in there, then put her back in. I wouldn't move her into anything bigger because then you'd have to fill that with extra substrate too which would end up requiring more substrate than you really need to buy since it's bigger than this tank.
If she is around 5" diagonal leg span, I'd say she is at least 10-15 years old.

Larry K

Arachnopeon
Actually,, now that I think about it, we got her four years ago. Not sure exactly how old she was at that time, but I thought she was a juvenile. Yeah, she's hanging out on that dry dish and other dry areas of the tank. Didn't realize that the height was an issue as shes been in there for a long time. I will freshen up the space and bring up the floor level with extra Sub. would love to see her in the big terrarium, but yeah its really tall. Shes not much of a climber, still think it's too risky even if I pad the substrate nicely? Alternatively, I could put a false ceiling in it with some wire cloth. She always goes to the water dish when I fill it and does a little dance, putting her feet in the water. Fun to watch.

terrarium.jpg

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Actually,, now that I think about it, we got her four years ago. Not sure exactly how old she was at that time, but I thought she was a juvenile. Yeah, she's hanging out on that dry dish and other dry areas of the tank. Didn't realize that the height was an issue as shes been in there for a long time. I will freshen up the space and bring up the floor level with extra Sub. would love to see her in the big terrarium, but yeah its really tall. Shes not much of a climber, still think it's too risky even if I pad the substrate nicely? Alternatively, I could put a false ceiling in it with some wire cloth. She always goes to the water dish when I fill it and does a little dance, putting her feet in the water. Fun to watch.

View attachment 314843
The enclosure she's in is fine just freshen up and add a good few inches more substrate, that other enclosure will be far to big maybe look at getting a blondi or stirmi