Rose Hair Web

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Ive had my rosie for about a month. I can't tell how old she is and im guessing its a female. From what i can tell when i can see her underside and by the size of her abdomen im guessing its a female but it hasnt molted yet for me so im not sure completely. She has made one corner almost webbed all the way up from the bottom of the tank to the top and also dug up all the dirt in that same corner and sits there and corners her food there too. Im hoping she may be about to molt
This thread is a bit old, wouldn't ya say? :)

cold blood

Staff member
Ive had my rosie for about a month. I can't tell how old she is and im guessing its a female. From what i can tell when i can see her underside and by the size of her abdomen im guessing its a female Im hoping she may be about to molt
Yeah, this thread dies over 4 years ago....I don't even think any og the people involved are even still here.

But a few points to the above quote. Don't hold your breath on a molt, these things take forever...adults go 4-6 years between molts, and young ones may go a full year. Likewise, long fasts, 6 months to over a year are common prior to molting.

Unless you know the breeder, there is no way to ever know the age, and really, age is of little consequence, DLS (Diagonal Leg Span) is more important and a better description of where your t is in life.

You mention that one of the reasons you suspect female is the size of the abdomen. Literally the only thing that abdomen size indicates is where it is in the molt cycle. Those that molted recently will always be thinner...male or female....conversely, a fat t is at the back end of the cycle and closer to a molt, again, male or female.

The lone exception is a MM, as once a male matures, they generally have a different physiology, and part of that is a small abdomen (along with legginess, emboli, tibial hooks and often a color or pattern change). So a small abdomen in this case actually looks different than a small abdomen on a freshly molted t.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
had my rosie 10+ years and no real webbing. A thin layer that is barely visible over 80% of her enclosure but that is all