rose hair molting for 6days

Sinjay

Arachnopeon
I just but crickets in the tank then a couple days later she was like this.. I thought she was molting

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
no, leave her be. doesnt look good at all.
you dont know she hasnt climbed, they are much more active at night, and i doubt you record all your spiders doings 24/7.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Just because you haven't seen her climb does not mean she doesn't. I can guarantee she climbs the walls, but it's most likely at night when you wouldn't notice. That's why people are always advised to not have more space than 1.5x the T's leg span from the sub to the top of the container. It doesn't take much of a fall to damage a T.

Regardless though, I'm still leaning towards pesticides/chemicals from the way she's moving. Plus you mentioned you had just threw in some crickets right before this happened, maybe they were exposed to something.? She does seem to be drinking in the vid though so I would give her as much water as she'll drink as she's clearly dehydrated.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Sorry to see your pet is in a bad way. Some ?'s that haven't been asked.
1. Are you using a heat pad or heat lamp? Both these will dehydrate a T even if there is water close by.
2. Is there a sponge in the water dish? these will breed bad bacteria and a T actually cant suck water through its fangs, it needs to immerse its mouth to be able to drink and sponges will not allow that.
Hopefully it will recover, looks severely dehydrated to me.
3. Has it molted in your care before? if so how long ago?
If its not near a molt, I would position its mouth (not the abdomen & book lungs) over a shallow full dish of water so it can drink as much as it needs.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
The walls in her enclosure are much too high. Im going with a fall. She can climb straight up a vertical glass wall. Even if you haven't witnessed her do it. Im sorry not much you can do for her now though.

Sinjay

Arachnopeon
So she's still alive her hair it turning white yes she has a sponge no I don't use any heat source she sits on my bed side table I don't have any lamps in my room I have had her for 6 months she hasn't jolted in my care I did a lot of research when I got her she was left in a cold basement with no food or water I shouldn't have gotten a bigger tank her old take had gotten damaged and I already had the ten gallon... One think tho where she lays it's like she dug down it's like a nest or hole... The one post says to put her mouth over a shallow dish of water... Should I do that?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Turning white??? Is she dead and growing mold? Really need good lighting pics to tell
Take the sponge out of the water dish and toss it. Wash the dish thoroughly and just put in clean fresh water. If she is still alive then carefully flip her over and place her mouth (whole carapace) in the fresh water. She wont drown they breath through the book lungs on the abdomen and it will not be in the water.

Sinjay

Arachnopeon
Is this okay I pulled her back a little she keeps pushing herself forward I don't want her to die... And her legs she has slits in them is that normal and do I have a rose hair?

Attachments

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Is that a sponge in the dish? If so, you can take it out and just put in fresh water. Those sponges are unnecessary and can breed bacteria. Just plan water in a dish is ok.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
That's a good position MINUS THE SPONGE!! As stated earlier it is not needed and can be grow bacteria that can harm your T
I hope she recovers she looks very dehydrated.
You have a Grammostola porteri, one of the common rose hairs

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
She will not drownd. Tarantulas have book lungs that are in the abdomen. The entire carapace can be in water and they will not drown. The sponge is at best unnecessary and worst full of bacteria- throw it out and just put in clean water! If your T is dehydrated as she appears to be, you may see her dunk her head in the water for a while, it looks a bit strange at first but it is normal. Remember that unless the abdomen is in water they will now drown.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Take out the spong and fill that bowl all the way to the top, and then place her there again. She looks really ill. You said you fed her from lps and she started behaving like this? Her abdomen is really small, was this the case before she became ill?

Sinjay

Arachnopeon
I don't know I've never picked her up I was told she has venom still but I got news I don't know if it's good I don't know if what I did was a good thing but today she stopped moving ithe shallow water lid so I flipped her over and watched she started moving a little