Rose Hair...Heat Lamp necessary?

aprylmayphotog

Arachnopeon
How necessary is it to have a heat lamp? I've read several articles the last few days some saying it's essential and others saying if you're home is 75-80 then you don't need one cause they'll acclimate? Thought I'd ask some opinions here.

Also, I picked up Sheila from Petco last week who claim to not know the genders of their tarantulas. With days of research and wishful thinking I've decided to conclude that my new young T is female. However, if the following image implies otherwise in your eyes, please speak up! :)

Thanks my new T friends!

Apryl

IMG_8362-2.jpg

Idaho
Proud T owner and 1 lovebird and a miniature schnauzer.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yep...this one's never been asked before...

Don't bother with a heat lamp. If you're comfortable, it's comfortable.

Welcome to the hobby.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince

aprylmayphotog

Arachnopeon
Yep...this one's never been asked before...

Don't bother with a heat lamp. If you're comfortable, it's comfortable.

Welcome to the hobby.
Thanks xhexdx! A hobby indeed! I agreed to let me husband get one and i've gotten into it more than him. i'm loving all of it. and her. (in your opinion is she a she)?

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 01:25 PM ----------

Here's another good link: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

You run bigger chance of killing her with the use of heat lamps or pads. They can get pretty cold as long as you bring them back up to room temperature. Plenty of resources, especially about G. roseas, on AB.

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 03:07 PM ----------

Nice link xhexdx!! http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...wer-common-questions&highlight=rose+hair+care
thanks njnolan1! thats an incredible article and i've bookmarked it. i appreciate the info. so would you dare to say my T is female?

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 01:28 PM ----------

I highly recommend you read the above thread on taking care of your G. rosea. Also, get yourself a copy of "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" or "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids." There is a great deal of conflicting information out there. Having a good knowledge base to start from will help you separate the good from the bad.
perfect, thanks Shrike! I assume this can be picked up from Barnes and Noble or even ordered from Amazon?
P.S. I noticed you're from Fairfax. I was born in Fairfax County! Falls Church, actually. Haven't been there since I was little but plan to go back one day.

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 01:30 PM ----------

Welcome to the hobby, this is a common question.

Click red link below

Quick Reference guide to answer common questions

Click blue link for G. rosea care sheet

How to really take care of your G.rosea
Thanks Rob. (loved your "We Got Cows, IL" city listed on your profile.
That Quick Ref guide is pretty nice. thanks for posting it and kudos to xhexdx
Any input on the sex of my T based on the photo?

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The above thread on rosea care is great. There is a great deal of conflicting information out there and it can be confusing at times. I'd recommend you pick up a copy of "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" or "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids." Having a good knowledge base will help you separate the good from the bad.

aprylmayphotog

Arachnopeon
Heman or Sheila? G Rosea :)

What's the verdict? Wondering if I could get your best guess now until the molt. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Is Eco-Earth good for him/her?

IMG_8366.jpg