Robusta Bite?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So I posted a pic today of what looked to be a S. "robusta" (titled: giant yellow leg - DANGER) I found at a pet store.

The person there swore to me up and down that the subsipinipes (he called it Vietnamese) in the back had venom that was "way less potent" than this one had.

Now I've read bite reports on both and besides that, my understanding was that damage was mostly mechanical for gigantea/robusta/something. He spoke with such confidence that I'm questioning myself a bit. Perhaps he's heard something that I hadn't heard. That being said, he didn't now any scientific names, so....

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, you know my man, it's a mess (really) when it comes to 'pede and a proper, if not I.D, collocation. I think that we are 'sailing' using nothing but eyes only, sometimes.

If someone thinks that it's complicated when it comes to Theraphosidae, hell... nothing when it comes to 'pedes. Well, at least this is my opinion.

Anyway, personally I think that the most brutal and powerful venom belongs to the (no matter which in particular, even if speculations says that S.dehaani is the worst) Asian ones but, unlike what happens for NW T's (at least with majority of average NW T's) and their OW counterparts, well, even NW 'pedes venom are and can be pretty nasty.

Last edited:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
They’re not suppose to be bad but they’re labeled as dangerous due to allergic reactions that people had from the venom. This is what my supplier told me.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
A robusta bite is definitely less painful/dangerous that any Asian Scolopendra. The fear factor of a 9" centipede with terrible venom makes the price seem a little more reasonable despite the fact that robusta are much calmer and have weaker venom than the much cheaper dehaani. Despite the oft-stated mechanical damage warning, I'd much rather be bitten by a foot-long SA 'pede than a dehaani half the size.

basin79

ArachnoGod
No large Scolopendra bite is going to be pleasant. The mechanical bite alone would hurt. But the Asian's will hurt you venom wise far more.