timer = $146.00
hygrotherm = $80.00
Humidifier = $15.00
Fan = $15.00
Electric box's & hardware = $40.00
misc hardware est = $25.00
A couple hundred P. Metallica's emerging from an egg sac = priceless {D
LOL!! isn't that true!

Well I did a test on the mechanical Mom, I put it in my living room with ambient humidity (30% or less) and the humidifier raised the humidity to 77% in 1 hour and the temps were able to go to 98 degrees (hotter than you will need) so it will work in a room that is not heated or humidified.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I did a test on the mechanical Mom, I put it in my living room with ambient humidity (30% or less) and the humidifier raised the humidity to 77% in 1 hour and the temps were able to go to 98 degrees (hotter than you will need) so it will work in a room that is not heated or humidified.:D
Did you purposely set the Hydrotherm unit to get those results? (77% 98F?)

Heat plays a role in humidity. The higher the temperature, the more water vapor can fit in the air. Lower the temps and humidity goes up. Basically heat expands air so more water vapor is needed to get a higher humidity. Also the light bulb is a heat source that can dry the surrounding air at the same time. So more humidity is lost as temperature rises.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Did you purposely set the Hydrotherm unit to get those results? (77% 98F?)

Heat plays a role in humidity. The higher the temperature, the more water vapor can fit in the air. Lower the temps and humidity goes up. Basically heat expands air so more water vapor is needed to get a higher humidity. Also the light bulb is a heat source that can dry the surrounding air at the same time. So more humidity is lost as temperature rises.
Yeah, I set it to see how hot it would go to, so it got 98 degrees and 77% humidity. I did another test and at 84-87 degrees it can obtain 88-90% humidity....I am setting it to do this in a dry room to see what results. so I set the temps at 87 and the humidity at 88% and it can reach 88-90% humidity stil, mote than adequate. When the machine is in my room without even being on it is at 85 degrees and 80% humidity, so it will have no problem achieving a few more %/degrees :D

Slappys_g1rl06

Arachnopeon
That's quite the contraption! I can't wait to see the results... especially if any p. metallicas are involved! :D Have you thought about maybe building these to sell to folks? Lol, of course, they might need to be streamlined as far as the cost goes... but maybe not for the diehard T-enthusiast! Just a thought! Best wishes!!!

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, you don't half ass anything Rob. That is professional looking, like it came out of a factory. Hey, where did you get that enclosure. It's size seems larger than similar ones made by a well advertised cage maker? What are it's dimensions?

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Wow, you don't half ass anything Rob. That is professional looking, like it came out of a factory. Hey, where did you get that enclosure. It's size seems larger than similar ones made by a well advertised cage maker? What are it's dimensions?
Thank you!! Yaeh it is much bigger, but I would think it would be easier to monitor heat & humidity. Here is the design I made and gave to Adam hundt (tarantulacages.com) and he put it together. The side panels are a must IMHO.

Here is the blue print I gave adam:

Did a few modifications to the mechanical Mom and thought i would share.

[YOUTUBE]pvAG71AzLIk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's really neat.. Are you gonna try it if Zilla makes another sac? Wasn't that the problem with the last one, that they all clumped together, cause she didn't turn it?

I really want to make one, but I have no use for it.. Kind of a shame, I love those kinds of projects!

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That's really neat.. Are you gonna try it if Zilla makes another sac? Wasn't that the problem with the last one, that they all clumped together, cause she didn't turn it?

I really want to make one, but I have no use for it.. Kind of a shame, I love those kinds of projects!
I most certainly will, I think the eggs were either infertile or she did not roll it!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, they looked all clumped together on the vid..

As with anything, you have the single most proffesional looking mechanical mom I have ever seen..

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, they looked all clumped together on the vid..

As with anything, you have the single most proffesional looking mechanical mom I have ever seen..
Thank you I appreciate that! :)

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do have one suggestion. Heat rises and you have the internal Flukers on the top of the enclosure and as well as above the light bulb. I would put it in the center near the egg chambers and add another one in another part of the tank. This would enable you to monitor temp/humidity changes for different parts of the enclosure. Obviously the probe for the Hygrotherm unit is near the sac so You may want to put the Flukers there also. This will also double check the hygrotherm's accuracy.

Last edited:

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I do have one suggestion. Heat rises and you have the internal Flukers on the top of the enclosure and as well as above the light bulb. I would put it in the center near the egg chambers and add another one in alother part of the tank. This would enable you to monitor temp/humidity changes for different parts of the enclosure. Obviously the probe for the Hygrotherm unit is near the sac so You may want to put the Flukers there also. This will also double check the hygrotherm's accuracy.
The hygrotherm is a lot more acurate, I tested it against my commercial grade hydrometer and it wasn't even a degree off, I did put the flukers right next to the hydroT and it changed about 2% so for humidity I would say the flukers is off about 10-15%...but is really accurate as far as temps go. I do plan on putting a flukers near the chamber just for the heck of it LOL!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And I totally agree. The setup circulates airflow so no air will become stagnant. Have you placed the fan in an angle?

When I was designing a setup for my tubocharged Talon long ago I was looking for ways to make air flow more efficiently (for more HP). So I studied a bit of fluid dynamics. Air flows like a liquid which means it will flow the path of least resistance. So if you imagine air flow as water, you can visualize where the air will want to travel. This includes bouncing or flowing with walls. If you place the fan at an angle it will bounce off the corner and flow outward in diferent directions. Face it to one wall and it will spread outwards along the wall just like water. Since you have heat on one side and humidity on the other, i would try to simulate a tornado effect to mix the two using the little fan.
Maybe a bit of overkill with calculations but its just a thought.

Yes and I do beleive you when you say the flukers are inaccurate because they are{D

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
And I totally agree. The setup circulates airflow so no air will become stagnant. Have you placed the fan in an angle?

When I was designing a setup for my tubocharged Talon long ago I was looking for ways to make air flow more efficiently (for more HP). So I studied a bit of fluid dynamics. Air flows like a liquid which means it will flow the path of least resistance. So if you imagine air flow as water, you can visualize where the air will want to travel. This includes bouncing or flowing with walls. If you place the fan at an angle it will bounce off the corner and flow outward in diferent directions. Face it to one wall and it will spread outwards along the wall just like water. Since you have heat on one side and humidity on the other, i would try to simulate a tornado effect to mix the two using the little fan.
Maybe a bit of overkill with calculations but its just a thought.
That is exactly what I did, it hits one wall and fans out, you just proved I placed right LOL!! Your calculations are NOT overkill they are invaluable IMHO!

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heres an example of what I'm trying to protray.

[YOUTUBE]3lytm0aI-jo&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]