Roaches and Live Plants

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I am setting up a vivarium packed with live plants. I plan on putting in a large roach species (like hissers and dubia), maybe some millipedes and a small centipede species (yes you heard me, it's a species that is about 4cm long and 0.25cm wide).

The whole plan is to have a 6'x2'x2' tank with lots of herbivores and a few small carnivores that might eat any roach babies produced.

My question is will the millipedes and roaches eat any of the live plants? I know they will consume decaying plant matter, but what about healthy, or new leaves/stems on plants?

Thanks for the help.

a1_collection

Arachnopeon
I have feed my hissers bird seeds and the ones that fall to the ground grow into different grasses. I have seen hissers nibble away at them but they all prefer fruit and the seeds it self.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I am setting up a vivarium packed with live plants. I plan on putting in a large roach species (like hissers and dubia), maybe some millipedes and a small centipede species (yes you heard me, it's a species that is about 4cm long and 0.25cm wide).

The whole plan is to have a 6'x2'x2' tank with lots of herbivores and a few small carnivores that might eat any roach babies produced.

My question is will the millipedes and roaches eat any of the live plants? I know they will consume decaying plant matter, but what about healthy, or new leaves/stems on plants?

Thanks for the help.
i'd be iffy on the roaches. roaches eat just about anything.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i tried pothos with my g.lurida and the plant was consumed(all but the stem)
andy

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No live plants in the vivarium with roaches. They will eat it. They also may contain harmful natural elements.
It has been our experience that hissers and dubia actually (naturally) prefer fresh greens, rather than old decaying matter. ;)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm ok, cause I over feed my current communal predators with dubia and latteralis. All of them are housed in fully planted vivariums packed with plants. I throw in a pile of grated carrots once a week and I have never seen any plants nibbled. Of course there will be more roaches than what are currently in my other vivariums. But one tank contains orchids, spider plants, and pothos and at times there are about 30+ roaches living in there (some that have reached too big a size for the predators to consume) yet all plants are untouched.

Onagro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I remeber reading somewhere that roaches of the panchlora genus can live in a terrarium and will not eat live plants. They seem to want fruits rather than greens anyway.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vaguely related question - are there roaches you can keep in an amphibious tank? I don't mean roaches that will willingly go underwater (though those certainly exist), but commonly kept roaches that simply won't drown themselves.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vaguely related question - are there roaches you can keep in an amphibious tank? I don't mean roaches that will willingly go underwater (though those certainly exist), but commonly kept roaches that simply won't drown themselves.
Yep, in two of the tanks there are water features that crickets always drown in. I have never seen a roach drown in them.

creepy_critters

Arachnopeon
i give my Dubia roaches greens and they eat it pretty good
so plants is porbably not a good ideal

thanks bill

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
3 Tanks, each with a small water feature.

Water Feature at bottom of tank.

Old Pic (plants have changed, will get a more recent pic)

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Nice terrariums. They remind me of being in a montane valley in Costa Rica.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Startlingly beautiful tanks! :clap:
I have a question though. How do you keep the frass from the roaches from fouling the tanks? Do you have a certain method for cleaning up after the buggies, or do you employ other bugs that do this for you?
This is just so pretty!! :) I can't see any denizens other than the plants, however. Are there bugs in these tanks?

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always wanted to build something like these, any good step by step guides online?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depending on the tanks there are tailless whip scorpions, tarantulas, or centipedes. Each one contains a series of detrivores including (but not limited to) 2 tiny species of land snail, pill bugs, sow bugs, red wiggler worms, spring tails, predatory mites, and 1cm long millipedes. They keep the tanks clean and free of phorid flies and decaying exoskeletons. The last picture actually contains a tailless whip scorpion colony (Charon grayi). 2 females, 1 male, and about 30 babies just hatched out and I have left them in the cage as an experiment (since I've already recovered and am raising another batch from a few months back).

The only time I get consumed plants is if I feed with just crickets and don't throw in carrots to distract them. So far the larger roaches living in each tank have not seemed to devour anything, though they could be eating a portion of the new growth.

Blackjungle.com has a good walkthrough, and I am going to make a background out of styrafoam and grout for the 6'x2'x2' tank to create a rock background. I'll post pics and step by step as I do it in a couple months.

Scythemantis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do you use for bedding, what contains the water and how is it kept clean? I really think I'm going to build one myself soon.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mix coconut fiber, a tiny bit of sand for drainage, earthworm casings, peat moss, and top soil. I also do layers of wood chips, dead moss, and dead leaves on top.

There is a false bottom (1 layer of pvc pipe supports, 1 layer egg crate, 3 layers of fiber glass screen, a layer of gravel or hydro clay balls, another 3 layers of fiber glass screen, and then the soil).

The live plants keep it clean. I use marginal plants in the water features to break down the nitrates and phosphates.