1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roach Escape Proofing - Vaseline?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Staehilomyces, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Staehilomyces

Staehilomyces Arachnoangel Active Member

Advertisement
    Due to a need for more content to feature on my YT channel, my invert collection has been growing exponentially. As such, I've been heavily considering the benefits of a roach colony. Here in Australia, the most common feeder roach is Parcoblatta pennsylvanica.
    Anyway, I'm on top of the care/feeding requirements and such, but one thing remains on my to-do list: escape-proofing. I've heard of fluon, but I won't be able to get that for a while, and I've heard from several keepers in Australia that Vaseline presents a good film to prevent roaches from climbing.
    Can anybody A: testify to that fact, and B: tell me how often a layer of Vaseline would have to be reapplied?

Thanks in advance.

2. tzpnm

tzpnm Arachnopeon

Vaseline works pretty well, I use it for all my climbing insects. Occasionally, however, I have had some small isopods climb on top of it, but I think roaches are too heavy for that to be a problem. Just smear it around the rim of the cage and reapply it if it gets too thin.

3. Staehilomyces

In general, how often do I need to reapply?

4. Matttoadman

Matttoadman Arachnoknight

Us
    As far as Parcoblatta go, the nymphs cannot climb. So they would merely need an adult proof lid. I have never witnessed an adult climb actually. I think they seek cover rather than run up the side. I have found that Vaseline on some types plastics will run easily. This of course causing the need to reapply often. Also make sure no objects are close the lid. I have been shocked at how easily a roach can stretch from a stick to the lid.

5. Staehilomyces

Last time I tried with them (they're nicknamed woodies here), they climbed the plastic of their enclosure with ease. I have heard of Vaseline working - what I mainly need to know is how often it needs to be reapplied.

6. Matttoadman

Us
    Not very often. The Vaseline never completely goes away. It will some times run or get too dirty. With my Elliptorhina it seems like I needed to re- smear the Vaseline everyother week on a glass aquarium. Every couple months or so I might have needed to wipe with a paper towel and add fresh. But I think that was only cause I used a red heat bulb on one side and it would run on a hot day.

7. tzpnm

tzpnm Arachnopeon

Some people say they re-apply it every few months, but I personally have never needed to re-apply it periodically. Only if it gets too thin or dries out, or gets full of fungus gnats or something do I reapply it.

8. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince Active Member

I just wanna clarify something here, the cockroaches known as "woodies" in Australia are Nauphoeta cinerea, NOT Parcoblatta pennsylvanica.

I don't think P.pennsylvanica are in culture anywhere but the USA, and most strains aren't nearly prolific enough to use as feeders consistently.

Nauphoeta nymphs, unlike those of Parcoblatta, can climb very well, so you'll need an airtight lid or a layer of Vaseline around the rim of the enclosure to contain them. Vaseline should probably be reapplied every three weeks or so, it gets dirty real fast.

9. Staehilomyces

Oh, you're probably right. I don't know how I got those mixed up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince Active Member

Well the common name for the genus Parcoblatta is "Wood Roaches".

11. Matttoadman

Us
    . Well with that being said, I have had those guys they climb very well. I would use as tall as a bin as you can find. I used a shallow one and had a time keeping them in. For some reason the Vaseline ran a lot. If I had to do over I would keep them in a screw lid gallon jar.

• Like Like x 1
  12. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Liquid PTFE. That's the bee's knees.