Roach Chow question

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
yeah I am gonna look for unmedicated chick feed. have you used medicated with success?
Ah, great point! No, no medicated feed. That's actually hard to find. I've ever used it, but I never will either. Not worth the risk.

I'd suggest doing 1 part ground up sugary cereal per 10 parts feed. It gets the roaches to furiously eat the feed, and the babies seem to mature faster (although that last part might just be in my head).

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Ah, great point! No, no medicated feed. That's actually hard to find. I've ever used it, but I never will either. Not worth the risk.

I'd suggest doing 1 part ground up sugary cereal per 10 parts feed. It gets the roaches to furiously eat the feed, and the babies seem to mature faster (although that last part might just be in my head).
I'll use the leftover crushed up cereal fromt he bottom of the boxes lol. Gonna get some chick feed when I run out of kidney beans that I crush up

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
whats cricket fodder?
I don't know now how to proper explain that in English. I try. Here when i order "food" for my T's (mostly every size from millimeter (and very delicate!) to adults crickets, and B.dubia) the breeders (those people i buy from are of course Arachnids & Scolopendra breeders/keepers as well) send me also, with those, their dry fodder (also i buy that for have a stock, especially for Winter time, not the best here in the North of the boot for receive those in parcels).

It's a complete food, full of vitamines. I combine that with, no substrate, and fresh, well cleaned, carrots, fruits etc

Same for roaches. I don't use Cats dry food nor else.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I don't know now how to proper explain that in English. I try. Here when i order "food" for my T's (mostly every size from millimeter (and very delicate!) to adults crickets, and B.dubia) the breeders (those people i buy from are of course Arachnids & Scolopendra breeders/keepers as well) send me also, with those, their dry fodder (also i buy that for have a stock, especially for Winter time, not the best here in the North of the boot for receive those in parcels).

It's a complete food, full of vitamines. I combine that with, no substrate, and fresh, well cleaned, carrots, fruits etc

Same for roaches. I don't use Cats dry food nor else.
Ok I think I get it. Are you able to ask them what their recipes are? I want my roaches healthy af :D

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
This should be in the "insects, other invertebrates, and arthropods" sub-forum. ;)

And before you say it, no this does not directly relate to feeding tarantulas. It directly relates to feeding roaches.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
This should be in the "insects, other invertebrates, and arthropods" sub-forum. ;)

And before you say it, no this does not directly relate to feeding tarantulas. It directly relates to feeding roaches.
How many degrees of separation are allowed? We feed the roaches, to feed the spiders. That's only two degrees of separation. :p

But yeah, there is a sub forum for that. I have not been in there very much.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
How many degrees of separation are allowed? We feed the roaches, to feed the spiders. That's only two degrees of separation. :p

But yeah, there is a sub forum for that. I have not been in there very much.
I'm in that sub-forum most of the time. I do keep tarantulas, but my hobby is really invertebrates in general. I've got various insects, and millipedes, and isopods, etc.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm in that sub-forum most of the time. I do keep tarantulas, but my hobby is really invertebrates in general. I've got various insects, and millipedes, and isopods, etc.
I'll have to drop by and check it out. Though I really don't need another hobby atm. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ok I think I get it. Are you able to ask them what their recipes are? I want my roaches healthy af :D
Ah ah, i will... but IMO nothing but the basic, old school, sane things my friend :)

Here what i use (i use other as well):

730_Cibo_per_Grilli.jpg

"Mangime per grilli" in Italian means "Fodder for crickets".

Basic (to mix with fresh carrots etc) stuff like raw proteins, raw fibers, phosphorus etc

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Ah ah, i will... but IMO nothing but the basic, old school, sane things my friend :)

Here what i use (i use other as well):

View attachment 210215

"Mangime per grilli" in Italian means "Fodder for crickets".

Basic (to mix with fresh carrots etc) stuff like raw proteins, raw fibers, phosphorus etc
I need to bulk up on food now so I'll give that a try maybe. Friend just gave me free Discoid roaches, dubias, and orangeheads but I forgot them at his store :X

Attachments

Debra

Arachnopeon
I feed nothing but chick and pig feed. That is all, 100%, and I have a thriving colony.
Having seen chick feed twice I’m wondering if that’s what the roach chow is. I remarked to y husband that it looks like bird seed just the other day.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Having seen chick feed twice I’m wondering if that’s what the roach chow is. I remarked to y husband that it looks like bird seed just the other day.
I'm sure "roach chow" has other stuff in it. Protein and whatnot. Int he two years since I posted that quote, my husbandry has changed a bit. I still use the exact same chick feed, and they do have 24/7 access to it, but I have found that they breed much faster when they have access to fruits once or twice per month. Much more than once per week leaves food uneaten, which then leads to flies.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I used to have finches, they ate little fruit-based pellets and the roaches loved them. They smelled a lot like Fruit Loops. The finch pellets can be spendy but if you find them on sale they can add variety for crickets or roaches.