Roach Chow question

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
So as long as I've had my roaches I avoided using dog food or cat food. I made sure to use organic ingredients and currently am using a recipe MWA gave me a while ago. Wondering what thoughts are on using dog food, cat food, chick feed, etc. I've heard people say bad things about using them, but others say there are no issues at all. Just wondering if there is even a reason why I waste my money buying organic ingredients.

Oreo

Arachnocookie
I use veggies, fruit, and dog food. Of course they also love oranges and cereal. Just a word of caution...if you use any product with grain in it, take care to keep it away from moisture otherwise you may end up with mites. If you have the money to spend, then there's no reason not to keep using organic foods. :pompous:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
To be honest, here, only carrots, other vegetables, and fruit. Plus cricket fodder. Nothing else.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
To be honest, here, only carrots, other vegetables, and fruit. Plus cricket fodder. Nothing else.
You don't use any dry foods?
I use veggies, fruit, and dog food. Of course they also love oranges and cereal. Just a word of caution...if you use any product with grain in it, take care to keep it away from moisture otherwise you may end up with mites. If you have the money to spend, then there's no reason not to keep using organic foods. :pompous:
I'm going to college in August so was hoping to not go completely broke lol

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I feed nothing but chick and pig feed. That is all, 100%, and I have a thriving colony.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You don't use any dry foods?
No. I don't have interest nor i have 50+ Arachnids for IMO need a colony. Here those are very, very cheap (crickets and B.dubia) so i prefer to buy those every two/three months (depends) and i keep them in XXL 'Dragon' fauna box, with that egg stuff for hide, no substrate at all, carrots, fruit and cricket fodder for food.
Never had a problem :)

Andy00

Arachnoknight
R u planning on taking ur T's to college? Because I might have to do that but I don't know if colleges will let me haha

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Honestly, no, I don't. I've bought stuff out of a burlap sack in a feed store, and I've bought stuff from Walmart. I've had no issues at all.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
R u planning on taking ur T's to college? Because I might have to do that but I don't know if colleges will let me haha
It's not so much about them letting you (they won't). They spray pesticides in the dorms.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I'm living off campus. I suggest you do the same. Have a couple roomates ez pz.
Make sure they are okay with Ts tho (thats the hard part)

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
No. I don't have interest nor i have 50+ Arachnids for IMO need a colony. Here those are very, very cheap (crickets and B.dubia) so i prefer to buy those every two/three months (depends) and i keep them in XXL 'Dragon' fauna box, with that egg stuff for hide, no substrate at all, carrots, fruit and cricket fodder for food.
Never had a problem :)
whats cricket fodder?
Honestly, no, I don't. I've bought stuff out of a burlap sack in a feed store, and I've bought stuff from Walmart. I've had no issues at all.
Do yours have medicated on the label because I don't know if that would be harmful to the roaches

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I use standard crumble laying mash as the base for my roach food from a feed store. I like the crumble cause of the smaller size. Most of the stuff there isn't medicated from what I have seen. I then add some other things like extra calcium because I also feed them to my bearded dragon. Roaches are healthy and the Ts eat them up.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
In reference to the taking Ts to college, I'm facing the same situation and if all goes well after talking to some people I should be able to keep my collection in the entomology departments insect zoo, so make sure you explore that option if your school has one. But otherwise definitely don't keep them in a dorm room. Easy to hide, but not worth the pesticide risk.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
In reference to the taking Ts to college, I'm facing the same situation and if all goes well after talking to some people I should be able to keep my collection in the entomology departments insect zoo, so make sure you explore that option if your school has one. But otherwise definitely don't keep them in a dorm room. Easy to hide, but not worth the pesticide risk.
Never thought of that. I will definitely ask if that will be possible

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just remembered this. Only once did I have an issue. About a year ago I bought chick feed by the pound at a local feed store. Fast forward a few weeks, and I had these tiny beetles about the size if a grain of rice everywhere. The roaches didn't seem to mind, but it was a pain getting rid of them. They hitched a ride on some roaches and infested one of my T cages.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
The only issue is the person in charge of the insect zoo isn't exactly super educated in the proper way to care for Ts, I'm talking minimal substrate in tall enclosures, heat mats, handling standing up above tile floor, ect. Though I'm hoping in being there I can help educate people and spread the T love :D all the while keeping a fun and educational outreach program going, as I know thats mainly what they use their collection for.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
I just remembered this. Only once did I have an issue. About a year ago I bought chick feed by the pound at a local feed store. Fast forward a few weeks, and I had these tiny beetles about the size if a grain of rice everywhere. The roaches didn't seem to mind, but it was a pain getting rid of them. They hitched a ride on some roaches and infested one of my T cages.
Kinda spooks me but also do you know if there are any problems with feeding soy?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Kinda spooks me but also do you know if there are any problems with feeding soy?
Not sure, I've never looked into it. I swear by the chick feed because it's absolutely loaded with fats and proteins, for obvious reasons. That's exactly what I want my T's to have, so that's what I feed my roaches. Note that there is a huge difference between chicken feed and chick feed ;) Chicken feed is about double the cost, but a $10 bag lasts me about six months.

TheInv4sion

Arachnobaron
Not sure, I've never looked into it. I swear by the chick feed because it's absolutely loaded with fats and proteins, for obvious reasons. That's exactly what I want my T's to have, so that's what I feed my roaches. Note that there is a huge difference between chicken feed and chick feed ;) Chicken feed is about double the cost, but a $10 bag lasts me about six months.
yeah I am gonna look for unmedicated chick feed. have you used medicated with success?