RIP Scarlett

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
My moms cat Scarlett passed away today from Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. About a month ago, Scarlett had an episode where she started yowling and lost control of her hind legs. The vet coudlnt really figure it out but he discovered she had a bladder infection at the time. Turns out it was from a clot. She recovered the use of her legs.

Today we noticed she was breathing a little fast. But we had to go out somewhere, so we left. We came back at noon and she was the same. When we finally came home for the day, she was unchanged. She came out of her hiding place and went under the table. When my dad went over to see her she got annoyed and went back to her first hiding spot. Then she started yowling. I told dad to get the carrier and mom to call the vet. The vet couldnt take us so they gave us the # to an emergency clinic. I grabbed Scarlett and held her on the floor (just holding her down) waiting for my dad with the carrier and she freaked out. Shes always been a bit skittish but became so brave in her later years. Anyway she was thrashing trying to get away, yowling and she started gagging. I thought she was trying to throw up but I had no clue what was going on. I put her in the carrier and they went off to the emergency clinic. That was the last time I saw her.

An hour later they came home and said the vet thought it was a clot due to a heart condition or something, but wasnt sure. She was given a tranq shot and pain meds to keep her calm, and put in an oxygen chamber. She was panting. They left and waited. No more then five minutes after arriving home, we got a call. The vet knew what was wrong. I couldnt go, I couldnt bare to watch another animal die, so I stayed. They went. Scarlett had already passed when he called. She just slipped away on her own.

They were there for an hour to say goodbye. I dont entirely regret not going but I hate the fact that they left her there. Her little body will probably be unlovingly tossed into a incinerator by some random worker with a bunch of other dead animals and cremated. We'll get no remains. :( Not an ending I would want for something I gave so much love to. My heart is broke.

So thats what they think it was, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. :(

She was only 6. (SPCA rescue)

RIP

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My family and I love all of our animals to death and we lost out cat Max a few years ago to a rare form of cancer usually only seen in dogs. He was a donor cat and had gone into the clinic where my mom and I both work to donate blood to a cat, and it was then they first discovered it. We tried chemo but he reacted poorly and eventually we had to euthanize him, after trying everything. It was heartbreaking. I also lost my cat several years ago, my mom took her to the vet, and poor Nikki didn't come back home. :( At eleven, I was shattered, she was my only friend.

RIP Scarlett!
It's never easy to lose a loved one.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Thank you Ariel. :( We lost my cat to cancer too back about 7 years ago. I have a new cat now but you never forget the ones you lost. Sorry for your loss too. :(