RIP Marshmallow / Post Ultimate Molt? / Preservation?

Chin Crimson

Arachnopeon
Okay well this was not easy for me but i had to accept that he/she would go sometimes...

20180725_164609.jpg

I found it in a location were my neighbours would have killed it , so i decided to give it a new home and boy we were happy together.

Here it is still alive (after the bad molt): 20180720_171517.jpg

I am not very good with the identification so here is the first Question:

Was it S. Tegenaria or S. Eratigena?

It was called Marshmallow because i housed it in a Marshmallow container with a big rock in the middle and it liked it alot.

After the rehouse into a rectangular styled plastic container it was even better.

It molted in a very weird position, when i found it molting the legs were all crooked, 1 pedipalp was stuck and it looked very distressed.

I tried to understand what was going on but i couldn't.

The legs are abnormally long don't you think?

After the molt everything was different. The spider had lost its power, it's will if you want to say. I managed to feed it one time but i saw it striking left and right of the prey too, wich was very sad.

Monday morning i found it dying, it was dead when I returned that very afternoon...

I tried my best and at the same time I feel guilty. Maybe it wouldve been better to let my neighbour crush it with a broomstick or whatever...

Soooo anyways here are the pictures and the Questions:

20180725_164625.jpg 20180725_164738.jpg 20180725_164747.jpg 20180725_164755.jpg

Does anyone know or understand what was going on?

Am I responsible for this? (I will answer every question asked here)

How can I preserve it? (It's currently in my fridge, the non freezing part)

Thanks for reading along, 8-legged cheer from Germany!

//edit;; if the pics are to blurry i will try to make better ones just call me out

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Was it S. Tegenaria or S. Eratigena?
How long is its body (not including the legs or palps)?

A ventral image (photo of the underside) is useful for distinguishing between Eratigena and Tegenaria.

Am I responsible for this?
Probably not. Sometimes bad molts happen for reasons beyond our control. It may also have just been very old, especially if it attempted to molt while mature. (These spiders don't normally continue molting as adults.)

How can I preserve it? (It's currently in my fridge, the non freezing part)
I use isopropyl alcohol (a solution of 70-90%) in an airtight bottle. You may need to change the alcohol once every few months until it stops becoming cloudy.

Chin Crimson

Arachnopeon
How long is its body (not including the legs or palps)?

A ventral image (photo of the underside) is useful for distinguishing between Eratigena and Tegenaria.
The Body without palps measures 0,55 inch (1,4 cm without spinnerets) and 0,59 inch (1,5 cm with spinnerets)

(I think the abdomen rotted away a little in the fridge, I heard about cutting it open and emptying, but i don't have the instruments for that small kind of spider)

Here are some medium quality images:
20180728_142857.jpg 20180728_142908.jpg 20180728_143044.jpg 20180728_143059.jpg

And here the underside: ( I am very sorry, the only way to make images is my s3 mini and i have shaky hands)
20180728_143140.jpg 20180728_143148.jpg 20180728_143201.jpg 20180728_143213.jpg

And thank you for your encouraging words! It really made me feel better.

I'm sorry for your loss!
Thank you very much my friend... I feel better reading this!!

I don't think i will take any more spiders from outside our our house. That really traumatised me a little. I currently have 3 more real spiders under care, 2 of them I think are from the same species but I won't get any more. Just Tarantulas I wanna get into more. (especially the OBTs i like a lot.)

Thanks for your sympathy my friends, and now I hope one of you can identify the exact species!

Greetings!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks for your sympathy my friends, and now I hope one of you can identify the exact species!
I'm not very familiar with the options in Germany, but based on the size and the ventral image, I think this may be Eratigena agrestis -- definitely not Eratigena atrica.

E. agrestis

E. atrica has a U-shaped black mark on the sternum that contains tan circles.

Tegenaria domestica has a similar pattern, but it's light-colored.