Rhopalurus junceus babies

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My big R. junceus girl popped today! Can't tell if she's done yet, here's the best picture I can get so far.

I can count about 15 babies, not bad for a first brood, and more may still come.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll Fly Into the Deathstar For.....

.........One of those that Falls Off - LOL - Jason

Congrats! :clap:

Last edited:

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's a better picture, looks to be more this time :D

She was making a "ts-ts-ts-ts-ts" hissing sound when I took that, never heard a scorp stridulate before.

Also, here's the father, he was living with her but I moved him into a temp enclosure for now.

Anyway, I'll be holding on to these babies to hopefully start a colony, but I will be re-introducing the male as soon as the babies are off her back. I'll post an update when the babies start molting.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool way to go. My first brood was 7 the 2nd 30+. It's nice the see this species being bred in the US.

john

xVOWx

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
*Borat voice* High Five! I counted 20~ congrats.

I discovered this when I got home from work today :D. I wasn't expecting my first brood until atleast march so I had to hurry and isolate her from the others.

MiGZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cheers to xVOWx and radicaldementia :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's the picture I was waiting for, she was sitting in a more accessible spot today.

(pics were not color enhanced)

Also, here is some more info on the breeding for the record: She was mated on Sept. 9, 2009, courtship began as soon as I first unpacked and put them together. For the first 3 months I kept her temps probably around 72F, then I redid my whole setup and put her under a lamp, raising temps to about 78-80. The male lived with her the whole time without problem, though I moved him out as soon as she gave birth. Birthing took less than 10 hours, as she was finished when I came home from work in the evening.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
GREAT PICTURES!!! So how many do you think is in this brood??? Looks more than 15.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Babies are molting, gettin a little crowded up there {D

Pretty amazing how brightly colored they are, they almost look radioactive.

YeloNeck

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Stunning photo !
Can you tell me how long did it take from start to the end of pregnancy ?
I can't wait till mine will welcome me :D

PoPpiLLs

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are definitely next on my list they look amazing.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those babies do look great as an addition to anyone collection!!! :D

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome pictures and congrats on the brood. I would love to get some of these someday...

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Final count: 26

I'm almost sure this is her first brood (seller claimed she was never mated, not exactly something you can prove). Basically I heard somewhere if you feed the mother as much as she'll take for the first couple weeks after mating, she'll have a bigger brood. Seems to have worked :)

The mother was more than ready to get back to her usual pigging out. One baby appears a little apprehensive about leaving.

Except for the straggler, all the babies are now separated in individual containers. I have a culture of flightless fruit flies on the way, as they're too small for dubia nymphs.