Rhino's trapdoor project diary.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
This is a communal project and I'm well aware that some ppl are going to lose their minds over this, just keep in mind that I've personally put 18 months of research into this before I started and have visited 3 local hobbyists that have had communal trapdoor enclosures going for some time quite successfully, considerations have been made for every possible scenario backed up by 20+ years of experience, both in the field as a research assistant as well as my own personal collection and experience. There are inherent risks involved, I think in this instance it can only be considered minimal.

The enclosure.
Enclosure is a glass, curved front tank, base dimensions are 35cm × 40cm with a maximum substrate depth of 20cm.
It has a hood with white light dayglo leds, night time blue leds and a small fan on a timer that exchanges air/gas for 2 minutes twice a day.
It's been heavily landscaped to replicate the natural environment and has been strategically implemented to give plenty of space and lots of sloping embankment which is preferred by the species I will be keeping in it.
The species.
Euoplos Turrificus. Palisade trapdoor.
Arbabitis Longipes.
Both species are found within close proximity of each other, often burrows are only seperated by an inch or two of space.
The outcome.
The purpose is to observe and only intervene if totally necessary, Ive set this up with the intention of being long term.
To observe interaction (if any) between individuals.
I have a few theories on the purpose of the raised turrets used by E.turrificus, not to mention a thousand questions.
How are the turrets made?
How long do they take?
Why are they continually extended?
What triggers the building of an extension?
Are these attractive to rainforest prey items?
Do they have any acoustic properties? ......etc etc
As previously mentioned this is to be long term project and I hope I'm still telling the story in years to come.
More to come, stay tuned, I've already spent weeks setting this up and the nature of a biotype style terrarium will mean it will always be a work in progress to some extent, some exciting times ahead for sure considering E.turrificus is a relatively un-studied, recently described species.

Last edited:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Ok so I've never actually named any inverts before but will make an exception to make it easier for members to keep track of who's who.
Specimen 26A is first to be housed in the new set up, she had a starter burrow placed to line up with her existing burrow entrance.
The raised turret is visible foreground left DSCN8565.JPG
For simplicity sake she will be called turret.
IMG_20190830_155604.jpg
Here you can see the excessive size of the burrow compared to the spider.
She settled in well and had set off the motion detection camera only once when she peeked out the door briefly. She is settling nicely and has been in for 5 days now and has been busy constructing the internal layout of her new home.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Second spider to be added is another euoplos Turrificus, this one is a juvenile but looks very male like at this stage. Palisade trapdoors seem to be a little faster and more agile than other Euoplos species but still are defensive with so much ferocity that it can only be described as excessive. The day I added this one to the enclosure is the closest I've ever been to being bitten in 20 years of keeping inverts, yep it almost had me not once but twice in 10 minutes, my nerves were shot to pieces by the end of it and that deep respect for all things bitey was reinforced.
Specimen 26B shall now be known as 'Almost' as in it almost had my finger.
RSCN8625.JPG
"Almost" lacks the markings on the abdomen and will be seperated within the community by means of plastic cup.
"Almosts" new crib, she was given a starter burrow pointing towards the rear of the tank, turrets burrow is visible across the washout in the background embankment.
DSCN8612.JPG
Since this photo was taken 29th August 2019, almost had started construction and I will need to get the pics off my camera but some interesting aspects of burrow construction have already come to light which will be seen in upcoming posts- stay tuned more to come.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Juvenile Arbabitis Longipes was also added on the 29th August 2019. IMG_20190830_161651.jpg
These are the local form that's associated with the Euoplos species. This particular one was a by catch whilst extracting "almost" from an eroded and damaged embankment.
This spider is currently known as AL14, if any one wants to chime in with a name for this little dude please do.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
AL14 made her home towards the back of the tank and has been busy burrowing and adding multiple entrances.
Her home has been marked with a blue circle, Turrets burrow has been marked in red
IMG_20190901_100014.jpg

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
You know, I am always one to reject communal setups (save for M. Balfour), but as soon as I considered the life style of trapdoors, my initial inclination is that the idea is possibly quite sound. Plus, I would add a very cool project undertaking. I shall be monitoring your updates on this, mate.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Thanks man, I'm taking as much care as possible and have stopped at the 3 for now until everyone settles in, it's all being closely monitored and so far they seem to like the placement and none have wandered yet.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Ok, so specimen 26B otherwise known as "Almost" has been a busy little spider.
8 hrs after being put into the enclosure construction was at this stage.
In the picture she is on her back using the last pair of legs to line the ceiling , she was very active turning around in clockwise direction webbing the sides.
IMG_20190902_171216.jpg
The cup was removed at this stage and not replaced but I can use the ring imprint as a guide to monitor progress

Attachments

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Progress updates of Almosts burrow build, she actually is quite sweet when safely behind glass haha.
24 hours into it, you can see how the back of the tube is quite floppy and hangs down like a curtain but isn't a door yet. IMG_20190902_171322.jpg
Below- 48 hours into it and she is smashing it out, it was at this point I noticed all along the front of the tank was loose soil that she had kicked out as far as 30cm (12in) which is good going for a little 1/2 inch spooder.
IMG_20190902_171400.jpg

Below is 60 hours progress since being introduced to the enclosure.
The protruding lower lip associated with Palisade trapdoors is now quite visible. I guess it's still a wip as it doesn't have that smooth pottery look yet. IMG_20190902_171430.jpg
It's hard to see in the pics but there is a distinct straight line behind the burrow which seems to be the anchor point for the tube, also we are now up to date and I'll try and upload the progress in real time as I take pics.
I know there's a lot of ppl eyeing this thread with suspicion but so far so good and for the other members thanks for the support and I appreciate Arachnoboards for letting me to continue to post this. Cheers legends

Last edited:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Hi @Arthroverts, everything is doing well. I love this tank, it's awesome.
Updates: the spider named "almost" turned out to be an idiosoma sp not an odd coloured Palisade trapdoor, but that's ok, which means that the 3 traps are all different species, this is better in a way as it's more long term if none pop out a sack.
Moss is growing and I have removed the fan and timer, it's just not necessary.
The gravel base is doing a fantastic job as a reservoir and the activated carbon keeps everything fresh, the particular species of moss I've used are notoriously hard to keep alive but it's flourishing in this set up.
IMG_20190922_183947.jpg
The Palisade trapdoor (euoplos turrificus) is doing well and is still excavating her burrow. I feed her via hemostats.
IMG_20190922_184129.jpg
Idiosoma species is a great eater and is often observed peeking out both day and night.
IMG_20190922_184303.jpg
The little arbanitis Longipes has checked out the whole enclosure several times but does not create any feeding response from the other two, you can see the main burrow and of course the secret back door behind it associated with this species.
IMG_20190922_184405.jpg
Thanks for looking, I will be adding a fourth species sometime in the near future and also will be constructing a second communal rainforest species tank.