Residents of My Backyard

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
While taking the dog out I spotted some webbing, so I went over to look, then I found some more webbing, and some more and some more etc. Most of the webs were abandoned but I did find these two little guys and I thought they looked neat so I figured I'd share. I may update this thread if I find more cool true spiders, we shall see. 20180919_161533.jpg 20180919_161747.jpg 20180919_161926.jpg 20180919_161940.jpg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I love how the first spider camouflage with several decoys.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Gasteracantha sp. (likely G. cancriformis), and Leucauge venusta if you were looking for IDs.

Very cool specimens!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Gasteracantha sp. (likely G. cancriformis), and Leucauge venusta if you were looking for IDs.
The Gasteracantha genus is one of my favorite genera of true spiders. I often find specimens with colors from black and white, to yellow red and any combination of those. I just wish I could find some of the more crazy color combinations that Google shows me.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
The Gasteracantha genus is one of my favorite genera of true spiders. I often find specimens with colors from black and white, to yellow red and any combination of those. I just wish I could find some of the more crazy color combinations that Google shows me.
I wish I could find them at all near me. The orb weaver distribution in my neck of the woods is heavily skewed into genera Araneus and Zygiella.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Me too, but those crazier ones seem to be native to other continents. Just enjoy the ones you have!

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Love the Leucauge venusta!! Tnx for sharing ;-)
One thing I find really interesting about them is they seem to be communal. More often than not I find multiple spiders sharing a web. Once I found 4 or 5 of them, all of different sizes, in the same web.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I went out to check if any webs had been moved after the heavy rain we had, and found this rather large web with 3 L. venusta living together. I circled them in red as they are still fairly small, but I'm just excited to prove these guys are naturally communal.

Attachments