Research!

Brittany10021996

Arachnopeon
I know this is has been said multiple time but I just wanna put it out there too. I just got my first tarantula a few days ago, I did research and watched tons of youtube videos and thought I was ready. Nope!!! I am so lucky to have found this site, if I didn't I probably wouldn't have my tarantula for long. Basically what I'm saying is even if you think you've done enough research do more. There will be things you didn't think about and many conflicting opinions that might stear you the wrong way. And with so many different kinds you want to be sure what you do is right for your specific T.

cold blood

Staff member
Yes, many new people believe research equals preparedness...but the fact is, if you aren't already educated on the subject, you will never know if you are doing the research in the right places or taking the right advice. Its truly incredible just how much poor or just plain bad info is out there....its significantly easier to find the bad stuff, too.

On top of that, research, even done in the right places, is no replacement for experience.

McGruder

Arachnopeon
On top of that, research, even done in the right places, is no replacement for experience.
That's so true. @Brittany10021996, I can relate 100%. I just got my first T about a week ago. Same thing, I did a bunch of reading, watched videos, even cruised this site a bit and was starting to feel pretty confident...until the T arrived and I unboxed it! Every day I'm learning how much more I still have to learn. IMO that's what makes it a fun hobby, though!

Brittany10021996

Arachnopeon
That's so true. @Brittany10021996, I can relate 100%. I just got my first T about a week ago. Same thing, I did a bunch of reading, watched videos, even cruised this site a bit and was starting to feel pretty confident...until the T arrived and I unboxed it! Every day I'm learning how much more I still have to learn. IMO that's what makes it a fun hobby, though!
I agree! And it's also fun telling others what you learned, I know when I tell my little 9 year old brother about my tarantula he's always so fasinated. I think it's good to let others know these things too, gets rid of the fear some might have.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I agree! And it's also fun telling others what you learned, I know when I tell my little 9 year old brother about my tarantula he's always so fasinated. I think it's good to let others know these things too, gets rid of the fear some might have.
That is an excellent prospective

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I just got my first tarantula a few days ago, I did research and watched tons of youtube videos and thought I was ready. Nope!!!
Well, the truth (IMO) is that nothing, and I say nothing, can 'prepare' someone about something they never had/did/etc no matter, because, as we know, practice would always 'crush' theory.

But one thing about YT in general. While I am the first to say that, from YT, there's more to 'avoid' than to learn, it's fair to remember that there's a couple of this site users that shared, on such platform, a lot of valid advices, especially directed to beginners.

Granted, they are the 0.5% but.