Research Scorpions Need Homes (Michigan)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hi all,

A friend of mine has a friend who does research on grasshopper mice, they almost exclusively eat scorpions, and she has some leftover scorpions that she would like to adopt out instead of freezing them. I'm picking up the last one or two Hadrurus arizonensis from her but the kicker is, she has almost 100 Centruroides sculpturatus that need homes. Obviously these are harder to re-home due to potency and I said I would reach out to see if any one local would like to adopt some. You would have to be experienced with potent animals, be local or willing to drive to East Lansing, MI and have a secure location to keep them where wandering children or pets couldn't get at them (it would also be frowned upon to get a bunch to sell them). I was tempted to grab a Centruroides since I keep spiders with nastier venom but I opted for the Hadrurus since I've never kept a scorpion before. If anyone has other creative solutions I would love to hear them.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Wow! I was excited until reading "local or meet in Lansing, MI" part. I'd use more fuel than the cost of overnight FedEx shipping. I'm in Columbus, OH and would take as many as can packaged into a parcel box, I'll pay shipping.
I've "hot" species now, no C. sculpturatus, Parabuthus species mostly.
They would be well taken care of, lemme know if this is an option. Great species, hate to see them euthanized needlessly.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Wow! I was excited until reading "local or meet in Lansing, MI" part. I'd use more fuel than the cost of overnight FedEx shipping. I'm in Columbus, OH and would take as many as can packaged into a parcel box, I'll pay shipping.
I've "hot" species now, no C. sculpturatus, Parabuthus species mostly.
They would be well taken care of, lemme know if this is an option. Great species, hate to see them euthanized needlessly.
Since the legality of shipping scorps through the mail is a grey zone, I don't think she is comfortable shipping them. I think she had to convince her professor to even just let them be adopted out instead if killing them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There is a method on how to package them if you search up the Threads here on AB. I agree with @Red Eunice your potential adoptee list will increase a hundred fold if you are able to package them.

awiec

Arachnoprince
There is a method on how to package them if you search up the Threads here on AB. I agree with @Red Eunice your potential adoptee list will increase a hundred fold if you are able to package them.
I'll have to ask her about it, I have no personal stake in this but I don't want to see them get put down.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yeah if they can be shipped, I'd take some to help keep them from being euthanized but I'm just too far for that drive to be feasible.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Want to go on a road trip to collect some @miss moxie ? I'll drive! :p

@awiec tell her it's not as hard as it seems to pack them for shipment. There are guides that can show the steps.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Want to go on a road trip to collect some @miss moxie ? I'll drive! :p

@awiec tell her it's not as hard as it seems to pack them for shipment. There are guides that can show the steps.
I'll be contacting her later this week when I go pick up my scorpion, if her professor is okay with it then she might be open to it. I certainly don't want her to get in trouble if they don't want her sending them in the mail.

If I had more time I'd just take all of them myself and become Scorpie Clause but I have way too many spiderlings I need to sell off.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'll be contacting her later this week when I go pick up my scorpion, if her professor is okay with it then she might be open to it. I certainly don't want her to get in trouble if they don't want her sending them in the mail.

If I had more time I'd just take all of them myself and become Scorpie Clause but I have way too many spiderlings I need to sell off.
What about contacting some other Michigan dealers/breeders/sellers? Or even non-local dealers really. Local ones would save the trouble of shipping at all, but. In an ideal scenario, she could package the unspoken for ones up and send them via Fed Ex (legal, no need for her professor to get fussy about that) and be done with it. You'd know they'd all get sold/traded to people who want them and will take care of them.

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
It's too bad I'm across the pond, I always want to help out unwanted animals and I'd take in some of the little buggers if feasible. Bark scorpions have beautiful colours and look too darn adorable. I wish you luck in trying to find them homes!

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Since the legality of shipping scorps through the mail is a grey zone, I don't think she is comfortable shipping them. I think she had to convince her professor to even just let them be adopted out instead if killing them.
Thats understandable. The professor had them shipped to him, but it is what it is.
If she decides to ship, remember I was the first to respond. ;) I can home at least 15, possibly 20, in separate enclosures at present. :)
@gromgrom, @Scorpionluva ship scorps frequently and may chime in on shipping techniques. I've only shipped slings and some MM Ts, I don't know if scorps are more difficult. Might be some good instructional videos on YouTube for referencing the "how to ship scorpions".
@cold blood, if going by boat, just be sure its a "big" boat, Lake Michigan is nasty this time of year. :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
So use a boat. :angelic:
Brrrrrrr
just be sure its a "big" boat, Lake Michigan is nasty this time of year
There is no time of the year that the lake won't get nasty...but its cold out there in summer when its 90, this time of year I don't want to venture offshore if I don't have to. Crossing it would take several hours even at pretty high speeds under ideal conditions..

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
C.sculpturatus can be shipped together too so it should make shipping easier. You dont have to put one per container. You can put a dozen or so in a 16oz deli with no problems at all

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If she doesnt want to ship multiple boxed you can send them all to me at one time and id ne more than willing to send them off to who ever wants them. I have more than i already need but i dont want to see them killed