rescue hisser questions

spikevarg

Arachnopeon
So I'm new to keeping insects and really excited. I ended up rescuing a madagascar hissing cockroach and then moving across the country with him, and now that I'm settled I want to look into other creatures (looking into different desert beetles. I'd love a scorpion but my boyfriend and roommate is phobic) and maybe getting him some pals.
The only problem is that he's really, really lethargic (I know hissers are supposed to climb but he doesn't... like to move very much) probably due to the fact that he's missing most of his antennae and the tips of I think three different feet? I don't know if other hissers will eat him (I know he is just an insect but I've had him for about five months now and I've become attached). (I think he's maybe an older roach, definitely an adult, and I'd just like him to be comfortable as long as possible). I've been feeding him different green vegetables, carrots, some crushed cat food, and fruit and I've only ever seen him eat the fruit-- should I be feeding him something different? I want him to be as healthy as possible.

BuzzSwole

Arachnosquire
So I'm new to keeping insects and really excited. I ended up rescuing a madagascar hissing cockroach and then moving across the country with him, and now that I'm settled I want to look into other creatures (looking into different desert beetles. I'd love a scorpion but my boyfriend and roommate is phobic) and maybe getting him some pals.
The only problem is that he's really, really lethargic (I know hissers are supposed to climb but he doesn't... like to move very much) probably due to the fact that he's missing most of his antennae and the tips of I think three different feet? I don't know if other hissers will eat him (I know he is just an insect but I've had him for about five months now and I've become attached). (I think he's maybe an older roach, definitely an adult, and I'd just like him to be comfortable as long as possible). I've been feeding him different green vegetables, carrots, some crushed cat food, and fruit and I've only ever seen him eat the fruit-- should I be feeding him something different? I want him to be as healthy as possible.
Lettuce but other than that his diet is on point and they are nocturnal so they much prefer to hide during the day (they hate natural sunlight). Might be why you’re not seeing him move as much.

spikevarg

Arachnopeon
Lettuce but other than that his diet is on point and they are nocturnal so they much prefer to hide during the day (they hate natural sunlight). Might be why you’re not seeing him move as much.
Sometimes two or more days will go by without him moving at all, it seems. The first week I had him, I'd hear him wandering around at night and hissing to himself, but now even when I handle him, unless I wake him up or (once) accidentally drip water on him, he doesn't hiss at all. He's been at this level of lethargy for as long as I can remember, except that first week, so I don't think it's getting worse, but it's also not better. He seems active and curious when I'm holding him, and will trundle along my arms as long as I let him, but in his enclosure he barely moves. I've got coconut husk substrate, and I read recently that for older hissers, husk can be hard for them to walk on. I also wonder if he's lonely/unstimulated? Or is he just old and quiet?
Will definitely add lettuce to his diet though, thank you!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Sometimes two or more days will go by without him moving at all, it seems. The first week I had him, I'd hear him wandering around at night and hissing to himself, but now even when I handle him, unless I wake him up or (once) accidentally drip water on him, he doesn't hiss at all. He's been at this level of lethargy for as long as I can remember, except that first week, so I don't think it's getting worse, but it's also not better. He seems active and curious when I'm holding him, and will trundle along my arms as long as I let him, but in his enclosure he barely moves. I've got coconut husk substrate, and I read recently that for older hissers, husk can be hard for them to walk on. I also wonder if he's lonely/unstimulated? Or is he just old and quiet?
Will definitely add lettuce to his diet though, thank you!
He's probably an older roach as you say, however if you want a good balanced diet try the " Bug Grub " that's marketed they seem to really like it. Buy the stuff from private sellers if possible - the stuff that comes in clear plastic bottles from retailers has a lot of grain in, not much good, too much waste.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
What temps are you keeping him at? this could have alot to do with being slow.

Also, do you use water crystals for his water? this is a way to keep them easily hydrated.

spikevarg

Arachnopeon
What temps are you keeping him at? this could have alot to do with being slow.

Also, do you use water crystals for his water? this is a way to keep them easily hydrated.
Not a hundred percent sure-- I've got a heating pad mounted on the side of his tank, I'd estimate in the 70s.

I'm worried about bacteria in water crystals, so I just try to keep fruit on hand and mist the tank once every day or two.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Most of them don't hiss much after they're settled and they're not active all the time. Some like to climb more than others. It does sound like he's old and came from a colony. Younger ones probably nibbled his feet. The antennae issue can be caused by chewing or by getting caught during battles. In itself, the loss of antennae doesn't slow them down, but age will.

Given his age, I wouldn't suggest adding more. Just keep him comfortable. You'll find mobility will start to go, so be careful about handling at that point (he may have trouble holding on) and check on him as he might not be able to right himself if he rolls over. I've found old cockroaches do best in tanks with no substrate, because it's easier to grip plain plastic. You can place a sheet of paper or cardboard on the bottom if he has issues gripping without his feet tips.

I've never had much luck with cat food, but fish food is popular with most of mine. Cereals are also popular. Bear in mind he won't have a high need for protein though, as he's male and finished growing. They also have individual food preferences, so some stuff he might just not like.

You can give him a water bowl directly if needed, though if he's eating a lot of fruit you might not need it. Water bowls should be ones they can climb in and out of (like a small reptile bowl), rather than ones with high straight sides.