1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reptisoil a good substrate?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Beggottenson, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Beggottenson

Beggottenson Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    Found this substrate it states it’s a mix of moss clay sand and soil, also states it’s great for tarantulas, what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnoknight Active Member

Ohio
    Never tried it. Probably ok

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Looks decent, basically just an expensive version of top soil though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnopeon

STL
    Hola,

I mix this with coco coir and vermiculite for my T's. It holds a burrow well and keeps the humidity up, but has a tendency to pack down overtime with frequent watering/drying. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    --Matt

5. StampFan

StampFan Arachnobaron Active Member

Calgary
    If you only have one critter buying substrate at a pet store might be okay. But you can save HUGE money by buying things from your home/garden/hardware store instead, coco peat, peat moss, plain ol' dirt, etc....

Also there are some previous discussion threads with this product that you might want to search.

6. jrh3

jrh3 Arachnosquire Active Member

I have thought about mixing this with 75% coconut fiber to see how well it does.

7. Beggottenson

I’m getting a king baboon so I may use this

8. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnopeon

STL
    I have a juvenile KB in the substrate mix I described above. No complaints so far. The burrows are extensive and when it's time to rehouse, the substrate comes out in large clumps due to the compaction I mentioned above. Only downside would probably be cost for larger collections as mentioned above, but my collection isn't to that tipping point yet.

Thanks,
    --Matt

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Nightstalker47

Thanks for the review Matt, how well does it hold in moisture?

10. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnopeon

STL
    Hola,

I can't speak for the substrate as-is since I dont use it straight. When mixed at two parts Reptisoil, two parts coco coir, and one part vermiculite (sometimes some sphagnum moss to taste lol), and placed with a depth of atleast 2", the resulting substrate has a large field capacity. I've had relative ease keeping an average 60% humidity with little manipulation and proper ventilation because of this water reservoir. It's just as easy to get higher humidity (70%+) for slings and Asian species with regular "rain storms" to replenish to field capacity. One downside is the compaction over time, as it can cause the rain to pool on the top a little bit before it softens the top layer and starts to absorb. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    --Matt

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Nightstalker47

I see, you really dont need to be measuring the ambient humidity btw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. l4nsky

l4nsky Arachnopeon

STL
    Lol it's an annoying habit from another hobby. I dabble in mycology from time to time when I want the taste of freshly picked and sauteed Pleurotus sp. It's more of a general reading anyways as I dont possess a scientific grade instrument nor do I have my T's hooked up to a humidistat controlled humidifier.

Thanks,
    --Matt

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

I used a bag of this for a subadult Lampropelma. I've found it to hold moisture quite well, since I believe it already has some vermiculite mixed in.

14. Nightstalker47

Thanks danger, how much does it go for in your parts? I may see about getting some, if its worth trying...always hesitant with the top soil here.

15. dangerforceidle

dangerforceidle Arachnobaron Active Member

It was quite expensive when compared to top soil. But, it's in a permanent home for a prized spider, so I figured I could splurge a little. I want to say a 10 qt bag was ~$17.

The top soil out here, at least the brand I bought, it pretty heavy on the wood/mulch. It's usable, but I don't know if I'll buy another bag. My collection is smaller so I don't have 100+ enclosures to fill, meaning I'd be OK with spending a bit more on 'finer quality' substrate.

Your mileage may vary on that point.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  16. I use this substrate mixed 1:1 with coco fiber. Works great! a tad on the pricey side though.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Nightstalker47

I think Ill give it a shot then! Ill let you guys know what I think.

18. Beggottenson

Same hahahha