Reptile shows for Ts, but those snakes look so nice.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
So, I've got an upcoming reptile show in October. I'm going to cruise for Ts of course. But I'm also not blind- and I know myself well enough to know that if I fall in love with a snake I WILL be taking it home.

But I don't know much about them. I've been watching a few videos about python care (from people who actually know what they're doing- not youtubers with 40 "PYTHON ESCAPED ZOMG" videos.)

I'm specifically looking at ball pythons or corn snakes, probably. I know their husbandry is a little more advanced (like heat mats bellow about 1/3 of the tank), and the humidity is a factor in the way it isn't for Ts. But I live in Florida, so like. Come on, the humidity isn't going to be hard to keep up.

I think I've lost the plot but have any of you guys gotten into snakes looking for Ts? Know anything about snakes? Point me towards some content.

TL;DR

I'm preparing myself in case of impulsive buys, which I guess doesn't really make it impulsive anymore.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
I started with snakes before I got a T. I know this is VERY bias, but GET ONE! lol

I got two corn snakes, which I adore. Ball Pythons are very good starter snakes too. However, with BP's, you need to keep their humidity to a certain level, especially when they're about to shed. (You can tell this, because their eyes will go blue). Also with BP's, unless their enclosure is on point, or they're stressed in any way, they can go into what's known as a feeding strike, where they refuse to eat. Corn snakes however eat come rain or shine!

Both snakes are very calm and have an easy going temperament. Both grow to about the same length, with BP's being a bit wider. Corn snakes like to explore more, while BP's prefer to remain stationary.

I'll link a couple of vids from a Youtuber I frequent, who uses his vids to educate, rather than to "impress" (as you said "BALL PYTHONSZOMHG!" haha)

5 Best pet snakes:

Corn Snake review:

Ball Python review:

If you have any more questions, by all means let me know. Good luck at the expo

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
If you have any more questions, by all means let me know. Good luck at the expo
Thanks for the videos! It certainly gives me something to do with my time while I wait for October.

I've been thinking a ball python might be better for me, because after Ts (which I don't handle) I'm kind of hoping for a pet with a more 'hands on' set of needs and a pretty chill attitude to match. I already know it probably wouldn't be more than weekly short handling for a small python (after they've finished digesting their meals ofc), but that's easily more than handling never. :smug:

The whole "oh I might want a snake" started because I was looking at craigslist for people rehoming their tarantulas and saw a Mojave Ghost morph and thought it was beautiful. :arghh: I've been bamboozled.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
That is a lovely morph! I've always been interested in banana types, or piebalds. Maybe one day I'll get a BP. Right now, I'm on the lookout for a hognose, and a common boa.

BP's are great for easy handling, as they don't move much. Unlike corn snakes which like to go everywhere, and are much faster haha.

My current corn snakes are wild type (normal colouring) and blizzard type, which is pure white with red eyes!

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Blizzard type sounds awesome! Unfortunately I can't keep a boa because of Florida laws. At least I think so. Don't know where I'd keep a snake that huge anyway.

I just know if I got a corn snake it would slither right out of my hands and into the great beyond. The extra care of a BP would be worth it for the chill factor.

I realized in looking for care that through keeping Ts I pretty much have everything I need except a heat mat to take care of a BP. Got some extra big plastic bins that just need some holes. It's looking more and more do-able. Are mice and rats very expensive to buy frozen when you've only got one snake?

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Lol well I wouldn't recommend a boa as a first time snake anyway. The beauty of BP's and corns is that they are VERY docile and don't get defensive (unless you're REALLY stupid of course!)

I think you're making a good choice if you want something that you can chill with. BP's are so calm when being handled and don't try to explore nearly half as much as corns do lol.

Mice and rats are VERY cheap, and you only need to feed your snake once every 7-12 days (depending on size and age). For example, I feed each of my corn snakes 1 large mouse each, one weekly, one every 10 days (that one's 7 years old). each large mouse costs me 95p. So even if they were both weekly, that would be £1.90 per week, which is dirt cheap compared to say a dog or a cat.

That said, I would recommend starting your BP on with baby rats. The reason being, if you started on mice, they'd get used to the scent of mice. If you were to make the switch later in its life, you'd have to get it used to the scent of rats. Cut that transition out asap by starting with the smaller rats. You'll thank yourself in the long run :)

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
If you've getting a snake a just know that escapes are much more likely than with T's. Even in cages made specifically for snakes. I bought a 10 gal. tank with a sliding lid for a foot long Cal. king, which disappeared the next day. When I examined the lid I found where one rivet was misplaced, which allowed the snake to push open the front corner of the lid. I never did find that snake.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
If you've getting a snake a just know that escapes are much more likely than with T's. Even in cages made specifically for snakes. I bought a 10 gal. tank with a sliding lid for a foot long Cal. king, which disappeared the next day. When I examined the lid I found where one rivet was misplaced, which allowed the snake to push open the front corner of the lid. I never did find that snake.
Yes, snakes can be very good escape artists, which is something to keep in mind with their enclosure. I personally only have wooden enclosures, with sliding glass at the front. The vents are secured fully, so they can't be knocked out. Also, a lock on the doors is an absolute MUST! Even sliding doors, a snake could nose one open throughout the night. And as always, regular checks on the enclosure is advised.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
I was thinking about using a large, clear sterelite bin that I've got with 4 lid clips. I think it's almost 15 gallons. Not ideal for a large snake. But I'm fairly certain I'm getting a small one. It's mainly just to give me some time to figure out what kind of enclosure I'll come up with in the long run. Bit worried about the heat mat touching the plastic, but I've seen a lot of people saying it's not a problem if you're using a thermostat.

I'm well paranoid about T escapes, and that's going to transfer to snakes as well. I don't want to be that keeper that's responsible for the devastation of my state's native fauna. Hopefully my tendency towards the neurotic when it comes to that will keep everyone where they should be.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I was thinking about using a large, clear sterelite bin that I've got with 4 lid clips. I think it's almost 15 gallons. Not ideal for a large snake. But I'm fairly certain I'm getting a small one. It's mainly just to give me some time to figure out what kind of enclosure I'll come up with in the long run. Bit worried about the heat mat touching the plastic, but I've seen a lot of people saying it's not a problem if you're using a thermostat.

I'm well paranoid about T escapes, and that's going to transfer to snakes as well. I don't want to be that keeper that's responsible for the devastation of my state's native fauna. Hopefully my tendency towards the neurotic when it comes to that will keep everyone where they should be.
I can see why you'd worry coming from Florida, the exotic capitol of the US, if not the world. Seeing as I come from Ohio, not really a worry for me.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer

Ball pythons aren’t known to be great escape artists so you’ll be fine with that set up. Get a good Thermostat, like a Herpstat and you won’t have to worries about the tub. I had the same concerns when getting into snakes, but many people use heat tape for their rack systems and it’s completely fine

houston

Arachnopeon
ball pythons are an excellent first time snake!! i just got one last week (not for the first time, but for the first time in years) and i already am in love with him. hes a banana mojave cinnamon morph!

he's in a 15 qt clip lid sterilite bin with some holes drilled in the side (if you need higher humidity drill less, lower drill more) and a heat mat. baby beeps should be kept in proportional bins (theres a lot of ways to figure appropriate size but they should be able to stretch out completely) because if they have too big a bin theyll get stressed and go off feed. 15g is gonna be too big for most the snakes youre gonna find for sale at a con, tbh!

the biggest issue with bps as a beginner snake is that theyll go off feed at the drop of a hat. sometimes even in perfect conditions theyll refuse to eat and it can be pretty stressful lol

snake discovery is my go to for info-- shes a wildlife educator and has (several) reptile rooms id kill for

boina

Lady of the mites
well I wouldn't recommend a boa as a first time snake anyway.
Why not? Serious question. My first (years ago) was a boa (actually 2) as everyone kept recommending them over ball pythons. Except for the fact that they can get big they are still the easiest snakes I know when it comes to keeping parameters. They are not as fuzzy about humidity as BPs, usually eat like pigs with no tendency to go off their feed and are slow and docile and there are even some smaller subspecies that won't get over 6'.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Why not? Serious question. My first (years ago) was a boa (actually 2) as everyone kept recommending them over ball pythons. Except for the fact that they can get big they are still the easiest snakes I know when it comes to keeping parameters. They are not as fuzzy about humidity as BPs, usually eat like pigs with no tendency to go off their feed and are slow and docile and there are even some smaller subspecies that won't get over 6'.
Well I was mostly speaking about the common boa, or the red tailed boa etc. The ones that get to about 8-10 feet long.

You're absolutely right, boas are fantastic snakes. Personally, I would love to have one some day, and it's a goal I'm working on. The reason I suggest a boa not being a first snake (second, third etc, sure!) is for the snakes benefit, more than the owners. Simply because they do get big, and some owners can find that overwhelming. So what happens to the poor boa? It gets pushed to a rescue center, or ends up on Gumtree (the UK's answer to Craigslist). And that's a very sad state for a snake to end up in.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well I was mostly speaking about the common boa, or the red tailed boa etc. The ones that get to about 8-10 feet long.

You're absolutely right, boas are fantastic snakes. Personally, I would love to have one some day, and it's a goal I'm working on. The reason I suggest a boa not being a first snake (second, third etc, sure!) is for the snakes benefit, more than the owners. Simply because they do get big, and some owners can find that overwhelming. So what happens to the poor boa? It gets pushed to a rescue center, or ends up on Gumtree (the UK's answer to Craigslist). And that's a very sad state for a snake to end up in.
You are absolutely right, of course. My Boa enclosures take up about half of my spare room, because one of the two turned out to be a hybrid red tail boa that's 8 feet by now, possibly even more...

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
Well,,,,, it happened!

He's a banana pastel mojave, and I couldn't be more delighted. I picked him up at the expo and I instantly knew I wasn't putting him back down.

I've been calling him Snoodle for short (snoot noodle) but his real name is Butterscotch "Snickerdoodle" Pudding. Everyone in my family already has their own nicknames for him, Scotch, Butters, Dudders, etc.

I'm letting him rest up in his current enclosure.

This is the size I've got him set up in. Humidity's holding around 60% when the lid's shut. I'm going to be adding a bit of moistened coco fiber later that will probably bump it up a bit. Heating pad is holding at about 93, trying to get it spot on that 90 but I think it's okay because my room is a bit on the chilly side at times. Thinking about adding a cork round in for a second hide/some enrichment.

@Katiekooleyes can you see anything concerning here? Heat mat's on the outside of the enclosure. Heating pad is hooked up to a rheostat, and I'm checking the temperature often.

He's a bit bigger than most of the other snakes were at the expo, and the seller gave me their feeding/shed chart for him. He's been on live rat pups, I'm hoping I can get him to take frozen. Really hoping. :anxious: I know that I can feed him a live rat, (like I'm not squeamish) but the possibility of the rat causing him harm, or him deciding not to eat and then me just suddenly having a rat as a pet isn't ideal.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Heya @Razzledazzy sorry for not getting back ot you sooner. My data on my dongle ran out lol.

Anyway, you got a cute little boy there. His colours are coming out so vividly, that's amazing! On a note with that, expect it to dull a little when he's close to shed. Don't worry, he'll brighten up again straight after .

I take it you're going to keep him in tubs, rather than a vivarium etc? What's great about BP's is that while some climb, it's not a needed thing. In fact, the more enclosed (to a point) the better with BP's.

While I can't see them, I take it there's air holes lol. It's great that you got a digital thermometer there. Keep it on the warm side, as burning your snake is more risky than chilling your snake. With that in mind, the heat mat should cover about 1/3-1/2 of the enclosure. You've done the right thing by keeping it under the enclosure, rather than inside it. the reason the heat mat should be 1/3-1/2 is so you can created a temperature gradient. That way, your snake can go to whichever part of the tank, cool or warm, it needs to.

I see you have a single hide. A hide is great, as snakes are natural hide-&-seekers. However, I would strongly recommend having a hide on both the warm and cool side of the enclosure. That way, your snake can feel safe and stress free, no matter what temperature it's looking for. Also, it wouldn't hurt ot add a little "clutter" when you have the time. This isn't a must, and it entirely depends on you means and wants. However, it adds to your snakes sense of safety.

Changing from live to T/F meals is difficult. If you're doing T/F, ALWAYS be sure to warm it up in warm/hot water (never boiling). BP's especially sense heat. So having their food hot, like a live rat will help a lot. Also, be sure to feed him with tongs. Two main reason:

1: his strike is not always going to be 100% accurate. If you hold the rat by the tail with your fingers, you risk getting nipped.

2: You'll be able to wriggle the T/F rat around, to make it seem more like a live rat.

Hopefully, he'll go for it

You're doing an awesome job atm, especially with adding moistened coco. The hardest part of a BP is the humidity, which you seem to have on point

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
@Katiekooleyes no problem on the time. I ended up adding a round of cork bark to the cool side. I might switch it up and try and give him a 'humidity hide' on that side and leave the cork bark in as clutter. He enjoys laying his head on top of the corkbark and leaving his body inside the main hide.

I took pictures to my local exotics store and they said it seemed fine. I'm worried my heat mat is a little smaller than 1/3 of the enclosure, though not by much. I do live in a warm area though. Might need to change things up in the winter slightly.

Also yes, he's got airholes. :astonished: Can't believe I forgot to say that. He's got about 10-18 (I cant remember) 1/4 inch airholes on each side for cross ventilation.

Just bought his first frozen rat pups. I'm going to thaw one for 24 hours in the fridge then warm it in water tomorrow night. Fingers crossed he goes for it.

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Sounds like you're doing an excellent job A humidity hide is a good idea, especially when he's close to shedding.

Good luck with the rat uts, I hope he takes them. Don't feel too discouraged if he doesn't. BP's are notoriously fussy eaters.

Razzledazzy

Arachnosquire
He took one! I fumbled around for 20 minutes with hot water and a hair dryer trying to figure out how best to entice him and then he goes and takes it so suddenly I'm still not sure which of the approaches actually worked.

He ate and is digesting on his hotspot. I'm so happy that I won't have to feed live.